Fallout 3 on a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by modified, Oct 29, 2008.

1. modified macrumors newbie

Checking to see if anyone has attempted to run Fallout 3 on a macbook. If so, please share your experience and stats of machine.

Thanks.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Haven't received my MacBook yet, but reading these specifications my gut feeling says it'll run fine.

3. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I have the new Macbook 2.4 w/ 2 GB of RAM; the stock one. I just played Fallout 3 (for about 2-3 hours) and it works fine on it, with "Medium" settings. I haven't played around w/ the other settings yet, but other than that, the game seems to run fine on it. It doesn't look the greatest but it works.

4. Hyuga macrumors regular

Did you play it on Vista or XP?

5. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Fresh install of XP Service Pack 2

6. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

played it on my mbp tonight and it looks great but I will try it on my mb also to see how well it plays.

7. EricJD macrumors regular

Why not SP3?

8. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I only had my old SP2 disc handy at the time and was too anxious to play the game right away :) I didn't want to have to wait forever for SP3 to finish downloading and installing. I will upgrade it to SP3 later this weekend but I'm pretty sure it will work w/ SP3. Just haven't had time. You know how hard it is to wait for the OS to finish installing just to play a game you want to try right away? :)

9. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I've been running it at medium settings in XP Pro SP3, and it runs just fine. I hate not having things run at native resolution, so I bumped it to 1280x800 and it still runs pretty smooth.

10. ATimson macrumors regular

I'm impressed. I expected it to take one look at the video card and die. :)

11. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

Yeah, I used to own a Dell m1330 w/ the nvidia 8400M (google "m1330 nvidia problems" or search the same on youtube), and I REALLY hope nvidia won't screw us again w/ the 9400M. Granted, I didn't buy the MacBook primarily for gaming--and I'm sure I could get better results w/ the MB Pro. But considering that I can pull out this at the airport during, say that 3-4 hour delayed flight and catch up on some 3d gaming is a definite plus.

12. ccc2484 macrumors newbie

How did you guys install it on your bootcamp partition using windows SP2? Ive tried installing it several times but when i open the rar.6 file it says some error like "the disk is probably full" or something. my partition is 32 gigs fat and i have 22gigs set aside for the game... so whats the deal? Is there a way to make the partition bigger with the other type of formatting or what? Would love an answer on this one!

13. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I formatted the partition using NTFS instead of FAT32... I don't know if that helps you or not. I do know that FAT32 cannot store files that are greater than 4 GB. That might be the problem?