Fallout 3 on MacBook Pro HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by delta8369, Apr 18, 2015.

1. delta8369, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

delta8369 macrumors newbie

Hello, I have installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. I have used websites to test if i can run Fallout 3 with my computer. They have all said I cant because of my graphics card: Intel Iris Graphics 5100.

I dont understand because Fallout 3 is an old game and the graphics card is new.

I am aware of problems with Fallout 3 on new computers. I know about this fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2825612

Is it actually possible running Fallout 3 on my computer using this fix, but the test websites arent aware of the fix so they say my graphics card is not compatible?

Please help! Thank you

2. snaky69, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

Why don't you just install the game and try it? It's not like it takes days to do so. In fact, if you check the time stamps on this post, you'd see that by the time I answered you, you could've been playing.

I suggest you hit up google and try to learn how to read system requirements for games and interpret them yourself. Things you learn this way actually stay in your head.

I looked up the system requirements for the game, since you did not. Keep in mind this is the bare minimum.

CPU: 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor (Pentium 4 processors haven't been made in the last decade, and are utterly slow compared to today's offerings, you're good)
    CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista) You'll have more than that
    Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better) The IRIS pro is directX 10 compatible, so 1 step better
    Sound Card: Yes You have one else you wouldn't have sound on your laptop

3. delta8369 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply! Fallout 3 is currently installing on steam, around 50% done. If it does not work, I will post a reply.

4. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I just started Fallout 3 from the beginning again just a few days ago on my PS3. :D

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I remember there being an issue with Fallout 3 and intel GPUs, but a mod could fix it.

6. delta8369, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

delta8369 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, I just want everyone to know I got Fallout 3 to work. The fix in the link i posted work, but if had to find the file specified in the link from another website. I also got my ps3 controller to work with my computer :)

The reason the websites said my graphics card wouldn't work was because the Intel Iris Graphics 5100 just wasn't compatible with fallout 3 for some reason. The file in the fix on the website basically tricks fallout into thinking the Intel Iris is a compatible graphics card.