fallout 3 on SR MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick987611, Oct 28, 2008.

1. rick987611 macrumors member

I have fallout 3 downloading on steam right now. Anyone else running this on a last gen MBP? I have the 2.4ghz 2gb ram, and a 8600m GT 256meg. Hoping for at least lowmed - medium settings. Really hoping I won't just end up buying another copy on PS3 cause it runs so bad.

2. OmahaGTP macrumors member

I heard about the PS3 problems, as well. Hope it runs good on your rig. :)

3. eddyhttp macrumors regular

yeah i am doing exactly what you are doing. i dont really want to get it for the ps3 but i do have the late macbook pro.

I hope it runs well

I have a problem with steam though. I was downloading it to 14% then had to switch to os x for class. now i am back on vista and the d/l just says "download starting" I dont see numbers anymore.

Is it downloading?

4. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Sometimes steam seems to do that. I have no idea, but I pause/stop it. Then resume, seems to fix it.

5. eddyhttp macrumors regular

how do you stop it and start it again? i dont see any buttons or options for that.

6. eddyhttp macrumors regular

never mind i got it to work, i did what you said

7. eddyhttp macrumors regular

f*ck... its shows me the % for a few seconds then goes back to download starting... this is stupid.... maybe their servers are flooded

8. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

Just got done playing for a while. Runs really well with some tweaks. I think it looks better in some areas then the ps3/xbox screens i've seen floating around. Im running on what it calls 'high' settings. Thats what it picked out for me. I did up the res it picked to my native res, and dropped some filtering options.

9. eddyhttp macrumors regular

I just finally finished d/ling it on steam. lets communicate with each other on what settings is the best for constant good frame rate and visuals.

Can you tell me exactly what flitering options you dropped and to what extent?

10. rick987611 thread starter macrumors member

I let it auto detect my settings. Then all I changed was I upped the resolution to 1440x900. Then I lowered the two settings below resolution to 0, I forget the names of them. Runs pretty good like that. You have the new MBP correct? So you can probably get away with a bit more then me.

11. duncan75 macrumors newbie

You guys should be able to run it fine, just remember to turn antialiasing and anisotropic filtering down to zero. The most important one is the antialiasing. It will default to 4x which kills fps. I'm running a late 2008 mbp and am running everything default at 1920x1200 with AA and AF to 0. I don't know the exact fps but it's pretty comfortable for me. Amazing game btw.

12. eddyhttp macrumors regular

i have running on high but what resolution should i use? the native or a lower setting. what is the difference when you do so? is the picture skewed or cut off?

it defaults antialiasing at 4, what is antialisasing? is it the thing that prevents screen tearing? when i back to my dorm i'll try it with it off.

I notice when i just keep the settings on high when it gets busy with a lot of poeple it slows down a little.

13. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

I believe Fallout 3 uses the Oblivion graphics engine so the 8600GT should be able to run it on low settings.

Josh

14. hitman45400 macrumors regular

15. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Bootcamp

16. hitman45400 macrumors regular

damn it, i wish i didn't have to get XP, is there a way i can get a copy from m desktop and run it on my laptop?
    i have a ton of steam games, so this will suck if i can't.

17. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Try installing XP and see what happens. If it works, great. If not, you had nothing to lose, right? Just an hour or two.

18. hitman45400 macrumors regular

what i want to do though, insted of buying it, is just getting a back up copy of my desktop, is there a way to do that?

19. Keleko macrumors 68000

I'm running Fallout 3 at 1920x1200 on my late-Feb MBP with an 8600GT. It runs just great at the High detail settings. I turned off AA since at that high a res, AA is mostly useless anyway. It runs smoothly at that level of detail and resolution. I don't know the exact FPS, but since it isn't a FPS I don't care much. It looks smooth to me, and that's all that I really care about.

20. vgsmobsterns macrumors newbie

I just picked up a copy of it on a DVD. So your copy is running well? Did you play it off Steam or a disk? I read somewhere else that someone was having trouble running it off a disk. This was the post.

"So...after anxiously waiting for the release date and clearing out my afternoon to play it, I can't install Fallout 3. I'm running windows vista on a Mac thru boot camp. The system meets the requirements no problem. But, try to run the Fallout dvd and I get a message informing me that there is a problem with the "side-by-side configuration" and that I should check the "application event log for more information". Anyone have any idea what is going on, and how to fix it??? Please and thank you."

The only response was as follows:

"I've solved side-by-side issues before by installing the C++ Redistributable Package from Microsoft. Hope that does it for you. Let me know because I will be attempting the same thing in the next couple of days on my Mac"

Hope this isnt happening with others. I dont want to open my copy until i know if this is a major problem with other people.

21. Keleko macrumors 68000

I bought the DVD from Best Buy because I had $15 in rewards to help pay for it. I'm using XP with SP3, and I've had no problems with running the game from that.

22. duncan75 macrumors newbie

Yep, it's running great guys. 1920x1200, just remember to turn AA OFF. The game defaults to 4x AA which will kill your framerate. Turn it off and your golden. I'm actually extremely surprised how well it's running.

23. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

I'm running on a 2.8ghz mbp and was seeing mouse lag in some parts of the games. For those with the same issue, turning off vertical sync will resolve it. Also seems to boost framerate by quite a bit. I don't see any graphical issues caused by turning it off so all's good.