Fallout 3 on the Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eddyhttp, Oct 28, 2008.

1. eddyhttp macrumors regular

Do you guys think that the 2.53 Late Macbook Pro 320GB @ 7200 rpm with bootcamp Vista 64 will play Fallout 3 fine?

Not necessarily full high settings but keep some of the shaders on medium.

I believe Oblivion is a comparable old game. Have you guys played Oblivion on the mbp.

2. hunterjoules macrumors member

I'm sorry, but did you just ask if the newest Apple laptop configured with all of the latest hardware will run a video game?

I can't tell if you're seriously asking or just bragging about your sweet laptop ;)

...yes, it will run beautifully. :D

3. eddyhttp thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much, i've been trying to get a definite answer!

I am d/ling the game on steam right now.

4. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Please post back with screenshots and your experience please. :D

5. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Yes..just got it today. Played great but I would like to know whats the best driver for nvidia 9600m gt w/vista.

6. invalidbuffalo macrumors newbie

7. MikeBrWade macrumors member

I have the new 2.8 and it runs great, after some tweaking it gets 25-30fps most of the time.

8. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

Is that on all high settings and the highest resolution?

9. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

179.13 is the best i have found so far.. i have also been playing fallout 3, runs like a champ, but you could become steril if you play on your lap, deff need to play on a desk because of the heat this monster puts out

10. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Apple fan bois are so funny. They play Fall out 3 @ 25-30 fps on their newest mpb and think that's just fine and dandy. Really get a pc if you want to play the latest game at a enjoyable frame rate and all settings turned high.

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Silly trolls are so funny. Gaming isn't a high propriety on everyone's list, things like OS, asthetics, battery life, and weight go in different priority for some people. Not everyone picks power and puts everything else way below it.

12. smokedog macrumors regular

Problem is there is no comparable PC "laptop" in terms of design and performance to the Macbook Pro. The Rock laptops are a powerhouse but it's expensive, looks bulky and are ugly.

13. glyphery macrumors newbie

Fallout 3 DVD-ROM Error on MacBook Pro (BootCamp)

Hello, everyone. I'll probably be cross-posting this on several relevant threads, so my apologies if you come across this more than once.

My situation is this. I received Fallout 3 as a birthday pressie and the DVD-ROM installed perfectly on the Windows desktop computer, which is the 'gaming rig'. But it would be nice to be able to play a bit of the game when I'm away from home, so I also tried installing it on WinXP SP3 running via a BootCamp partition on my MacBook Pro...

...and the MBP's drive won't recognise the disc. I pop it in, it whirrs up, Windows temporarily locks up My Computer, and after a minute of desperate whirring and clicking, the MBP drive spits out the retail DVD-ROM again.

Has anyone out there experienced this before... and if so, can you give me any advice on how to fix this problem? Is it just because Apple 'SuperDrives' are rubbish, or could this have something to do with Fallout 3 using SecureROM or god knows what else? I've installed dozens of Windows games on my MBP using BootCamp and never before encountered a game disc being rejected like this.

I just want to play the game I legally own, on Windows... just on my MBP. Any ideas out there? Many thanks in advance!

14. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Try a bunch of other dual layer dvd's and see how they read?, as it's a dual layer dvd, and not that many pc games to date have been dual layer yet. if its having a lot of problems with other discs, then go to apple, if its just the one disc, it may be a bad pressing that the laptop drive is finding harder to read than a desktop one. securom shouldn't effect the basic disc being recognised.

15. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

how about ripping the DVD on your gaming rig, make an image file of it, transfer it via external to your MaXP, and mounting it with a program like PowerISO and installing it from there? That should work....

Like you said, SUPERDRIVE = RUBBISH!!!!! my old first gen macbook had a superdrive that stopped reading DVDs a year later. I had to use the image file method mentioned above countless of times to install progs on it.

I have SP2 and Fallout 3 runs sweet on the MBP!

16. powersurge macrumors member

As a pc gamer who recently purchased his first mac (Macbook Pro 2.52 512mb model. I wanted to replace my old laptop and I was curious about macs) the new Macbook Pro is a great light weight gaming machine.

I haven't checked the framerate by number but I'm running Fallout 3 at native res, high settings, and 2x aa smoothly. Of course it won't run crysis smoothly on high/very high but for how light weight it is (compared to a 10 pound gaming laptop), its a very powerful machine.

Now will I be keeping my Vista64 desktop? Of course. I can't upgrade the Macbook Pro :D

edit: Oh yeah I should mention I'm just running stock apple drivers for now but I am getting a crash here and there with Fallout 3 (under Vista 32bit boot camp) but I think that its just related to the game needing a couple of patches than anything else as if you check forums like hardocp they have a couple of threads on crashing issues.

edit2: BTW I didn't purchase the game from steam. I picked up the Bobble hea... I mean the Collector's Edition :)

17. glyphery macrumors newbie

Thanks to both of you for the ultra-prompt replies!

@iMacDragon:

That's a fair point. The only dual-layer DVD media I have lying around will be actual films; do you think that if I pop a few of those in and they don't get spat right out again, that's a sufficient test... or to be certain must I go find the layer change in the middle of the film and see if it pukes and dies then?

@Paul:

Hmm. Not a bad suggestion, if it comes to that. I've been searching the Web for examples of other people having my problem, but it seems that everyone playing Fallout 3 on the MBP bought it via Steam and downloaded it. I'd love it if Steam would just let me enter my physical disc's CD-KEY and authorise the download (as I have Steam installed already for Portal and Half-Life 2)... but something tells me the profit-sharing between Valve and Bethesda doesn't quite support this, alas.

18. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

What is your decision based on ? I tried the bootcamp drivers, then the 180.43 and I got a better 3dmark score with the bootcamp drivers (almost 100 points difference)

19. akm3 macrumors 68020

Seriously? 30fps isn't 'fine and dandy'?

You can't really enjoy the game unless it is at 60+fps? On an RPG?

Seriously?

20. glyphery macrumors newbie

Same here. So now I'm even more depressed, as this means it's evidently not all MBP SuperDrives that have this problem... just mine. :-(

I tried making an ISO disc image of the retail disc and mounting that with Daemon Tools Lite, but of course SecuROM said 'bite me'. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to play Fallout 3 on my Santa Rosa MBP...

21. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I've just had a look at laptopvideo and they are no 179.13 drivers for Vista 64. Which OS are you running ?

Tex

22. snake101st macrumors regular

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can add a non-steam game to your steam games list, so you can talk to people in your friends list in game. You cant dl it, which is that you probably meant, but go to your games list and its on the bottom left.

23. glyphery macrumors newbie

::nods:: Alas, that is what I meant. I was hoping that Steam would let me download it over their system if I could provide the retail CD-KEY, but I tried that and it won't let me. Since the hurdle here is getting past Apple's craptastic SuperDrive, I can't use the 'add a non-Steam game' option because the first thing it asks is for me to point it to the already-installed game directory on my HD. ;-)

24. moclippa macrumors member

I am not sure what all this discussion about the Superdrive being an issue here is all about. I installed Fallout 3 off the collectors edition and I don't even need the CD to play the game, everything runs off the drive... So as far as I can tell, if they are forcing a CD check in some versions of the game, its probably just to check if the CD is there, not run the game off the Superdrive. That is, unless you installed using some custom option that doesn't install everything.

Anyways, I run the game with High settings and AAx4... I think I may drop the AA down though, as much as I like the look of it, the performance has a few hiccups.

Anyone ever get a flashing bar on the right side of the screen occasionally while playing the game? F3 is the only game I have that I get that with.

Also, what are your loading times like? Usually I don't even get past quarter of a circle during any load, and have never had to complete a full circle yet. Saves are instant, and in game loads have a delay ranging between 1-3 seconds.Trying to figure out if thats an SSD benefit, or if people are feeling the same results all over.

Update: Glyphery, in case you are wondering, I have Vista x32, SP1... I had a few issues installing F3 (it wouldn't install) at the beginning, but once I had upgraded the OS to the new Service Pack, and included fully updated .Net frameworks, everything fell into place, it installed and worked.

25. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

The flashing bar is the Vista sidebar going "HEY GUYS WHATCHA DOIN??" I'd just close it before starting the game.