Fallout: New Vegas - Screenshots and Pre-Order

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ManhattanPrjct, May 12, 2010.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/fnv/?loc=homeflash2

It seems very early to offer a pre-order on this release, but see for yourself. Obsidian is offering a collector's edition pack with a bunch of nonsense from the game. Screenshots look reminiscent of F3 (same game engine)- obviously with a new landscape.

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

You mean Bethesda Softworks. Obsidian is just the development team working on the game, not the marketing or publishing.
    Nonsense?!?! You take that back!!! A graphic novel written by Chris Avellone is NOT nonsense. Granted this collector's edition is lacking in the "Bobblehead" department, it looks to be a nice set of stuff for only $20 extra. I mean, that graphic novel is probably worth that by itself.

3. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

Never! I demand bobbleheads for $20 extra!

I am sure you're right about the novel, but in the age of DLC and the unspoken agreement we all tend to have with game developers that we'll be paying $10-$20 for additional content down the road, I think I'll save that $20 for the yet-to-be-released-but-certainly-will-come-out expansion packs.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I want another lunchbox I can turn in to a mine...

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not sure I'll get this yet. I may have had my Fallout fill with Fallout3.

6. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

What makes you feel that way?

I never had much of a problem with the technical issues people complained about on their PS3 (though admittedly I had a couple of crashes).

The only thing I can think of that would dissuade me from playing this is the fact that it's built on F3's game engine. I guess there are pluses and minuses to that: some people might think there's a lack of innovation and that you're basically just buying a continuation of the previous title (Bioshock 2), or some people might argue that you can't have too much of a good thing and it results in quicker releases to the market. Uncharted 2's gameplay was very similar to the first, but the graphics were such a huge upgrade (and game was so fun) it didn't seem to matter.

Thoughts/opinions?

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm one of those with endless crashes on the PS3. Admittedly, I've got my money's worth out of the game overall, but not being able to even start some of the DLC I've purchased is incredibly annoying. The problems seem to get worse as the player explorers more/gathers more/more time passes. But that's the very essence of the game - that's like saying this car racing game is fine, as long as you don't drive too fast. :p

It's a pity, as I LOVE the game.

Looking at those screenshots though, New Vegas does look VERY similar to F3. While I loved the F3 landscape and authentic bleakness, I'm not sure I could take another massive game of it. I know a good ol' nuclear holocaust kinda limits your options, but they do need a little more variety.

I'll probably not buy it for a few months, and see if there are any problems with the game (given my experience with Fallout 3 and Oblivion).

8. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

A Bobblehead with this set would be perfection. I'm getting it either way, but a companion for my FO3 Bobblehead on my desk would be nice. ;)
    I played FO3 on 360, and I only experienced some of the smaller, minor glitches. The game never crashed on me, but I did run into the occasional character stuck in a wall, or selectable item not being able to be selected, etc. But, that kind of stuff is just fine, in my opinion. With huge, open games like this, there are just going to be problems that aren't caught before the game ships. As long as they are minor, as mine were, I'm fine with it.

I've played through FO3 about 5-6 times now, and it just gets better every time. I just love the world, the characters, the gunplay, the exploration. It is just a great game, in my opinion. So, when I heard that FO:NV was going to basically be FO3 with a new story and environment, I was ecstatic. The new UI elements shown so far in screens look great, and I'm really excited about all the new weapons and mods that will be available for them. As someone who has put probably 250-300 hours into FO3, I can't wait for this game.

9. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

That's pretty logical - the game basically catalogs all of your interactions, no matter how insignificant and tracks them - your save game size ultimately becomes huge after a while. I know the landscape looks bleak, but that's part of the charm of the game, IMO.

I am a huge open-world fan, no matter what incarnation it takes (even GTA4). I like the engine - I just hope the story and the side missions are a little deeper than F3. There are some side missions that just aren't really that creative (go fetch this and that from here), but then ones like Oasis (my favorite) which really allow for some imagination, especially with the radio guy promoting them.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's the reason. Not sure it'll feel like a proper new game rather than a glorified expansion pack.

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yet, but a lot of similar games seem to manage it a lot better. It seems to me that the problem is that Fallout 3 checks against your history regularly. Meaning as you're wandering around, the game begins to stutter more and more and eventually freeze up. I wouldn't mind if, for example, the inventory or map took a little longer to come up after playing for a long time, but I don't see why the general performance and stability should suffer so badly.

If I play with my main character now, every 15 seconds or so the game will freeze up for 5 seconds, then go again. If I can play for 10 minutes without the console freezing up entirely, I'm amazed.

As for the landscape, I actually loved the dry, bleak, lonely landscape; but I'm not sure I can take more of the same. It seems NV will have the same races and gameplay, the game needs something new and fresh, IMO. Perhaps a non US city? (Or would that be completely out of line with the Fallout universe? :) )

12. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew