Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by realph, Feb 4, 2010.

1. realph macrumors regular

2. DdMac679 macrumors member

DdMac679

Yeppers and I can't wait till it is released.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Fall 2010? By that they mean Q1/Q2 2011....

I loved Fallout 3, so anything else will be great. I jut hope the bugs are ironed out - I haven't bought the DLC for Fallout 3 as I've heard it really screws up the already-flaky vanilla release.

4. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what console you're using, but I haven't had any problems with mine (ps3). If you like the quirkiness of the regular Fallout 3 world, you will love Point Lookout. The Pitt is pretty good as well as a sort of Mad Max take, and Broken Steel will extend the level cap to 30. The others are straight-up combat.

5. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I'm also on a PS3. I've had the vanilla Fallout 3 crash several times already.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh sick! i have played burnout: revenge like crazy on my ps2. would love a better visual updated version - that keeps the great game play!

7. Conversion macrumors member

Conversion

Have you ever updated it? My Fallout 3 was also freezing randomly, but then an update came like a year ago or so, and I haven't experienced any lag/crash/freeze since.

8. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Of course. Updates are forced by the PS3. I'm tempted to buy the GOTY edition as that has the DLC built in.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had it for PS3, then traded it in and got the 360 version. Fallout 3 was/is a game that NEEDs Anti Aliasing. On PS3 the wasteland was a shimmering mess and it was hard to admire any geometry at all. On the 360 the mere addition of AA rectified this and it was a much more pleasant experience.

I hope they will address this in the new one, but given how developers still can't seem to get their heads around the PS3's spu's fully and implement AA by passing it to one of the cores (maybe lack of bandwith, or gpu memory is the restriction) i won't hold my breath.

Loved Fallout 3, did not love the PS3's incarnation.

10. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I liked Fallout 3, but the fact that the franchise strength (writing) was the weakest part of Bethesda's game was not lost on me (but then, what did anyone expect?). Still it was a very good game and one of the top 5 of the year.

Now that Obsidian is at the helm I expect *much* better writing, and I hope that Bethesda works with them to help bring the production values that Bethesda excels at to this new effort.

Definitely a must-have for me.

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I didn't notice my game (PC) getting any more unstable after the DLC installs. My biggest gripe is that Broken Steel screwed up the ending, and the new level 30 cap made the game laughable. With the new level increase, it's very easy to max out almost every skill, which makes things very easy. To counter this, they basically just added some monsters that are bullet sponges. It also added a few quirks, like encountering Enclave soldiers when I was fresh out of the Vault.

As for the others, I liked Operation Anchorage. The Pitt was pretty decent, with a moral dilemma thrown in. I don't have Mothership Zeta, so I can't comment on it.

I agree with the writing being weak in Fallout 3. Fallout 1&2 were two of my favorite games ever. I played Fallout 2 for years after it came out because I loved it so much. I loved the storyline, the dialogue, and the fact you could play in so many different ways. It was a true RPG. You could finish the game without getting into a single combat if you had the right type of character. Something that won me over happened with my second playthrough, this time as an evil character. I went into a town I had visited before, but something was different this time. There was something on the wall. When I looked at it, it was a wanted poster for my character for being "a total rat b****rd child killer". NPC dialogue options and reactions were also completely different. Now THAT is an RPG! :)

In spite of all that, I still liked Fallout 3. I just wish they would add some elements from the older games.

Edit: I forgot to add: Of course I'm going to get New Vegas. I'm an addict.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Bought all the DLC on the PS3 the day it came out (more eagerness than sense), worked great for a while, but now the console freezes after about 30 seconds of play, every time. I played through the Pitt and some of Broken Steel, but hadn't even touched the rest.

I don't even know if I can delete and re-install - can you re-download DLC for free? I'm sure they said no refunds for this item, but if it renders the game unplayable, surely they can't get away with that?

I wouldn't mind, but I can't play Oblivion either (on the 360) since that suffers from the animation freeze; so I'd have to restart my game from scratch. :(

13. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I am not sure about DLC, but I think most things you buy from the PS Store are owned for life.

14. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

According to fallout.wikia.com - it looks like the game will step it up in the writing/dialogue department.

Many more details at the following links:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Fallout:_New_Vegas_details_from_PlayStation_Magazine

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/PS3M_loves_the_writing_in_Fallout:_New_Vegas

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

you can re download anything you purchase from the PSN store so long as its to the same account you purchased it with. Video rentals are the only exception.

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Slightly OT - but I deleted all the Fallout 3 game data, and all the DLC. "Reinstalled" the game, and re-downloaded the DLC.

The freezing was gone for a few minutes, now it's back with a vengeance. It even froze during the loading screen. And there's a new issue - some "blocks" of the map don't fully load/display. You're going down a path, and it just stops and there's nothing but very low res textures ahead, and buildings appear to be floating a few feet above ground. If you try to enter these areas, you immediately get stuck.

Here's a pic of the issue: [​IMG]

Given this is on a fresh install, I suspect it may be due to the save game file. As with Oblivion (similar game engine) there seems to be problems when the save game file is too old/grows too large.

Assuming Fallout New Vegas is based on the same engine, I'd be very worried. I absolutely love Bethesda games, but their QA is utterly abysmal. :eek:

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Could it be a scratch on the disk?

You're the only person I've saw with this issue. So I wouldn't blame Bethesda just yet ;)

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Whooleytoo, that's odd. I never had an issue like that.

I played the PS3 version and had no freezing problems with the regular game. The Broken Steel DLC froze on me several times. Annoying but still perfectly playable. The Point Lookout DLC never froze on me.

20. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I can't wait for it I'm just at the end of the pitt i think. But I've played through the game at least 4-5 time's this time around it was with all the DLC. Anyone know when there going to release any ingame footage or screen shots ?????.

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I wouldn't think so - that area was fine a few minutes earlier when I wandered by, but on the way back it was like that. If it was due to a scratch on the disk, I assume that issue would happen all the time. The 'broken' areas of the map seem to be random, and temporary.

I believe most of the issues occur when you have the DLC installed, and possibly also as the saved game file grows. When I started playing the game, I had none of these issues.

I've enclosed a shot of another issue, near Bethesda Ruins I experienced this glitch, every time I looked in a certain direction (I think it was anywhere I could see a certain building), this weirdness happened.

Tried playing the last mission on the Brotherhood of Steel DLC last night, and the framerate on any of the outdoor areas just dropped and dropped until it was - at best - about 5fps. If I quit and restarted the console, it'd be fine for a while, and then degrade again.

(And yes, the console is fine, never had any major issues with any other PS3 game. The only other game I've had issues like this was.... Oblivion on the 360!!)

Attached Files:

• F3.jpg
      F3.jpg
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
  22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Tried scratching a Blu Ray disc recently? They're a lot more resilient than DVD, to the point where scratches are a non-issue unless you've gone at them with a knife...