False Advertising - Bait and Switch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Boysmom3, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Boysmom3 macrumors newbie

One again it is painfully clear that Apple has failed in it's efforts to distribute a new product on time as promised. My son and two friends saved their birthday money to purchase the Apple iPod touch. We started calling stores on the 21st and were told it would be available on the 28th. Apple also touted the availability on the 28th in it's advertisments for the product. We called the local Apple store on the 27th to make sure the product would be available. They informed us that they had actually had the product for a week and that they were sold out with no idea when anymore would come in. They thought they may get a shipment in the morning but it was first come, first serve and you could not prepay. I showed up the minute it opened and was first in line. I was told they did not get any in and that they would give me a call around noon as they hoped to get some in by then. However, the sales rep said they did have the 16GB in if I would like to purchase that one!!

I went home and telephoned ALL stores in California listed on their website and NONE of the stores had any of the 8's available. I believe by the definition below Apple is committing false advertising by enticing you into their stores only to find out the item advertised is not available and then they proceed to entice you into buying the more expensive version.

Does the limited availability generate more excitement or is Apple that inept in estimating sales? It appears as though it is simply generating excitement for a product that is not available and then upselling you a more expensive item.

Thoughts??

2. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Honestly it sounds as if you just got unlucky. As much as I have heard before you they were selling out of the 16gb b/c they were more popular, and offering people the 8gb..

Sorry to hear, but did you also look into Best Buys and the other stores people are saying they got theirs from on here?

3. Boysmom3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Best Buy?

I was told both online by Apple customer service reps and at the local Apple store that the iPod Touch was not sold anywhere else. Are you positive they are selling at Best Buy?

4. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Yes very much so, go online and search for your local one. I got mine from shipped from apple about a week ago, and was a little mad that I could have walked in a Best Buy ~2 weeks prior to that and get one.

P.S. There are people on here who get theirs from Best Buy I think there is a thread somewhere.

5. REDACTED macrumors newbie

More misinformation from feckless Apple reps.

6. mithykal macrumors regular

Theres no false advertising, steve said the would be out this 'later this month' and the website said by 28th, and as you have just shown stores have already sold them. It's just tough luck that there appears to be no stock around you at this moment in time.
    No where did they say, on the 28th it will be available everywhere.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Apple NEVER said that they would be available everywhere on the 28th. They said that they would SHIP by the 28th. And this is only the early from the Apple online store. Apple did NOTHING wrong. A few days ago, the shipping changed to "7-10" business days. That means AFTER the 28th. They are producing them as they can... if they could sell more, they would.

Trust me, Apple wants your money. If they had one to sell you, they would.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

9. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Care to elaborate, in what other ways has Apple failed you?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think bait and switch is harsh, however, I do understand your concern. The fact is Apple and other companies launch a product without being able to accurately gauge how many will sell. There is no doubt some forecasting based on previous launches of popular product, but there is no sure fire method of saying "we need 100 per store of the 8gb because that is how the iPod sold." It is unfair to think a company should over stock let alone care enough to pull that sort of stunt.

Take for example the Nikon D300 and D3. You can pre-order these two new cameras and put yourself on a pseudo list. You can hope that Nikon will a)supply each store with enough to cure a wait list in a week by asking each store how large their list is or b) hope that Nikon simply supplies each store with an abundant amount of stock in hopes that one store will not sell out where another store will be stuck with unsold merchandise.

In any company inventory is unrealized profit so to speak. The unrealized profit is sitting on the shelves waiting to be sold. Apple in Irvine (Spectrum) is a small store but gets quite a bit of foot traffic but not nearly as much as say the 5th Avenue store. Should Irvine receive 5000 units because 5th Avenue has? I don't believe any store owner (speaking as though this were an independently owned and operated business) should accept the same amount of stock being delivered to a larger store. It doesn't sound like great business to me. To better explain think of Small Dog. They sell Apple products but they're not huge. They're huge in their own right but they're not Apple Retail. Should they get 5000 units just like 5th Avenue? I doubt it. Every unit that sits on the shelves is money lost in theory.

Now, I've been to the Apple store to buy an ACD. I came in to buy a 20" a while back. I opted not to because I was told there were no more 20" in stock but they had the next two sizes up. They did not tell me I had to have those or pay more, they simply recommended buying another if I wanted. Sure, the impatient person who had a few hundred+ to spare may opt to buy larger because they can afford it and waiting is not a word they use often. I on the other hand demonstrated patience and left. It allowed me to wait a little longer and realize that buying the 20" to replace a 20" Dell was really about style. I was glad they didn't have any in stock.

You can wait or you can check other Apple resellers such as Best Buy. You can choose to believe you're being lured into a store to purchase something you were not intending to buy or you can again wait. You have to ask what your demand is.

Does your son need the iPod now? If so, does the iPod classic suffice? If he needs and iPod then chances are the classic would suffice. No one needs an iPod though. You sound like an intelligent person who really wouldn't believe that someone needed a electronic device that happens to look sexy and omits music. But, as any red blooded American will probably agree, having what we want and what we saved diligently for is indeed what prevents us from being impatient and suddenly deciding that we need something. I get that too, by the time I submitted to the idea that I would lay down $400 for an mp3 player I had to have it. 4Gs were sold out everywhere. I ended up driving 70 miles north to Burbank Best Buy to buy one that night. I was tired and frustrated, but I had an iPod that night. I could have waited, but waiting was not an option because I simply would not live another day without one. Get my drift?

I'm not here to defend Apple or their so-called tactics. I simply don't agree with lack of supply but then again I don't disagree with it. I do believe though that what Apple may do is create a bigger demand for the larger unit by limiting production of a smaller unit. Why? Because there wasn't many that did not gripe about the capacity of the iPhones. 4gb and 8gb. Based on sales they said later to the 4gb. Is it fair to assume Apple is learning and saying, wait up. We went from a 80gb iPod to now an 8gb? Complains began about the capacity and perhaps Apple said...ut oh, we better step up on the 16gb. Will the 8gb buyers be left out? Probably so. Will we see the 8gb iPod touch around much after the holidays or early spring? I seriously doubt it.

I hope you find your 8gb. I'm sure you have three children there (friends included) that are bummed beyond belief. They probably anticipated having it for the weekend so they can load it up and play with it (that is how I roll too), but there is a good chance if you look around you may find at least one for your son. Try Costco, Circuit City, and Best Buy.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I would only consider it bait and switch if they literally took 6 months to start delivering the 8GB version. It's been like 1 day. Is it that painful that you couldn't buy one today, and might need to wait a couple days? It's an iPod, not a life saving device.

Plenty of people have 8GB Touch's already (perhaps you didn't know this, which might change your perception a bit), so it's not like Apple's intention was to never release it, and upsell the 16GB.

I can understand being frustrated, but calling it 'bait and switch' is way overboard. Do you realize how hard it is to coordinate a massive product launch the likes of a new iPod, and have every store (brick and mortar and online) coordinate it to be available on the same exact day?

13. Boysmom3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went through the same issue when purchasing my iPhone on the day it came out. So you would suggest instead of false advertising that Apple, a multi-billion dollar corporation, is simply inept in it's ability to project inventory need?

No - it is simple. They generate excitement and fail to produce the product on time as advertised. The customer service rep from Apple stated to me last week that they would be available on the 28th. They aren't available here or anywhere in Southern California. I would say that is a gross miscalculation of need or simply the plan all along.

Thank you to those that suggested Best Buy. I just received a call from the local Apple store and was informed they only received the 16GB, would I like that? my information to hold the 8's yete I will run out to Best Buy and see what they have available.

14. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You can check in-store availability at both bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com. If you have more than 1 in your area, that will save you some driving around. You can also order online and secure your unit, then go to the store and pick it up.

Good luck! I disagree with many of your points in your post, but I do sympathize and hope your son gets 1 soon. ;)

15. Remixen macrumors member

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

All I am saying that before you go off trashing a person or company, at least research and think to see if your complaint makes sense. Yours does not. The vibe that I get from your post is that you are mad the Apple doesn't have the product available exactly when you want it. The company never even said that it would be available today. Get over it.

I also think that your son should learn that it's not always possible to get something right when you want it. And if he wants it so bad, why isn't he looking for a way to get one? You don't have to do it for him...

17. i am mac lovin macrumors newbie

All the shops I've been to have either:

A) had all sizes in stock
    B) had more 8's available than 16's.

so doesn't that just make you feel like you're jumping to conclusions?
    oh and by the way..... this was all of last week. walked into shops
    on several occasions last week and this week, and they were plenty.

18. James L macrumors 6502a

You are wrong. Being pissed won't make you right.

Apple said they would SHIP by the 28th. This was pointed out to you above. "Apple's" communication has always been that they would ship by the 28th. This might mean no in store availability until early to mid October. Then, based on demand, they may sell out. It happens all the time with any popular product.

You may have spoken to an inept clerk who said they would be "available" by the 28th, but what company doesn't have inept clerks? I have yet to deal with a multi national organization that doesn't have at least 1 idiot employee.

Why do people get so uptight over an iPod, anyway? It'll be here when it gets here.

19. bartyboy macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Maybe you should teach your son that you can't always get what you want the instant you want it.

20. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Heheh, you're also forgetting which forum you're posting on... people here LOVE iPods. Many would rather fondle an iPod Touch than Jessica Alba...

21. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Most of us. :p I don't know where either are right now, so...

22. Boysmom3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly when I want it? No, the representative told us last week it would be available today. I would like products available when they are advertised to be available.

I did go over to the local Best Buy and they are sold out. I was told they received 20 two weeks ago and haven't received any since. They receive inventory daily and do not have a schedule of when they will arrive. They further stated that this is typical of Apple. They, the distributors, are not given any distribution status and they have had many customer complaints. He said if I was looking for a sold out computer or movie he could look in his database and see when they would expect some in. Not so for Apple products.

Sales 101 - Under Promise, Over Deliver. It doesn't matter what size company you are. I don't find it acceptable that there are ZERO available in Southern California. It isn't a limited inventory it is a non existent inventory. I further find it disheartening to say the least that NONE of the Apple stores or Best Buy has any idea when they will receive anymore.

Was my Bait & Switch title a bit harsh? Possibly but I don't find it an acceptable business practice to continue to hype up products with no intention of fulfilling the need when promised. I don't find it an acceptable business practice to refuse to provide stores and distribution centers with data on when they will receive more.

Their Operations group knows exactly when they will send more and to which stores. They have a shipping schedule with manifests clearly showing quantities and items shipped. They choose not to share the infomation with their stores so they can service their clients.

When a company chooses not to divulge the true availability of a product it is simply for hype. Say they are inept at inventory decisions then why not let the stores know when they will receive more? The hype is still there as it isn't readily available but at least there wouldn't be the frustration there is today. The consumer would know when stores would be receiving more and can then schedule their trip to the store accordingly.

Can I just buy them online? Sure if I want to wait several weeks. The online representative said while they expect to ship in 7-10 days there is no guarantee. She, Theresa, said they are shipped out of China and they will not guarantee shipping nor can you pay for expedited shipping. When I asked why there aren't any available in Southern California she stated that Apple has other stores besides California and that she had no idea what stores may have some or when any stores would get them in.

So we will continue to search......

23. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

That's a bit unfair.

People on Macrumors can be sooo helpful, but a wrong word and they bite like a rabid dog...

24. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Okay, Boysmom3... You really have to settle down. If you don't have an iPod Touch by TOMORROW!!!11!111! it's not the end of the world. Take a deep breath, close your eyes, and say with me,"I don't need a Touch that bad. I can wait a week or so, and I won't bother flip out on Apple employees if they don't have what they cannot control."

It's simple. An iPod Touch will not improve the quality of your life in any way. Not having one will not cause the/your world to explode. I promise! Just be patient.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

Wow, don't misquote me in attempt to prove a point. Just because the person answering the phone at the Apple store said that they would have them doesn't mean that it's true.

I guess that next time, you'll have to alert the Apple execs that your son and his friends are saving their birthday money for iPods. Because obviously they forgot to make that the highest priority on their calendar for this year.

Apple is trying to give some customers their products as they can. Just because you son and friends can't get them on the exact day that they want them doesn't mean that Apple is practicing false advertising.

I second this motion.