False Advertising? Or New Look? Just got my MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackmack, Jun 17, 2009.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

So the one I saw advertised at the conference, on Apple.com, and even on the back of my box for my brand new 17" macbook pro looks like this:

[​IMG]

However, I just got my macbook from China (custom harddrive) and I open it to find it looks like this:

(EDIT: I removed my pic because it had embedded GPS data from the iphone, plus its no longer needed... just check out the engadget link. Apparently matte-finish screens are different than the glossy when it comes to screen type AND border)

Note how mine has a silver border around the screen while the one advertised has the glossy black.

Any explanation or should I just call Apple tomorrow?

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that the folks at engadget got one that looks the same: http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/10/apples-new-macbook-pro-family-unboxing-and-hands-on/

I was worried they had forgotten to apply something. Still weird that they don't update their pictures.

2. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Looks like you got the matte screen by accident. I would keep it if you did not pay extra :S. It is an upgrade and IMO matte>glossy(or rather glassy).

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you got the matte screen and its a touch more expensive. if you would prefer a glossy screen call Apple. matte is good though it has no reflections and is good for photo work and outdoor use. glossy makes the colours seem to 'pop out more'.

4. waffles123 macrumors regular

That's the anti-glare display. Did you click on it in when you were buying the mac online?

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Really up to you. If the MacBook Pro has the same specs it comes down to whether or not you like the display. Some like the glossy display, others like the matte display (the one you currently have).

6. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys, just an update... I meant to get the matte screen, but I still thought it came with the black border.

No worries, I'm perfectly happy with it, I was just--like I said--worried that maybe it missed a step before they shipped it off to me.

Thanks for the quick responses =)