Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayenes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2016
CA
Hi All! Just got back from the cardiologist today and thought I'd pass on some information. Since the ECG update I've had many results come back as Afib. Was on a two week heart monitor (trying to figure out my SVT episodes) while the update came out so I was able to record my clicking the event button during the times I felt off and watch came back as Afib.

Turns out NONE of the episodes the watch was flagging as Afib were just that. I have a very pronounced Sinus Arrhythmia that was triggering the watch ECG to read it as Afib. So glad I can quit freaking out now (I'm only 34). Good to get those things checked out anyway though.

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Given the population distribution of atrial fibrillation diagnoses and very low risk of atrial fibrillation at your age, it's no surprise that you had a false positive result.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Were you manually running ECG's, or were you getting irregular rhythm notifications from the watch? Or were you manually running ECG after receiving a High Heart Rate notification from the watch since you mentioned SVT?

It's good you got it checked out. I was just about 40 when I went to a cardiologist because of regular flip-flop sensations in my chest. I had no other symptoms like dizziness, but sometimes my heart rate would spike at the same time. I wore a Holter monitor for a couple of weeks and fortunately it found nothing unusual. It was a very stressful time for me and the cardiologist said that the symptoms might be related to stress and anxiety. Just getting it checked out reduced my anxiety tremendously, and the symptoms went away within a few weeks.

I'm glad they were false positives!

hull22

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Were you manually running ECG's, or were you getting irregular rhythm notifications from the watch? Or were you manually running ECG after receiving a High Heart Rate notification from the watch since you mentioned SVT?

It's good you got it checked out. I was just about 40 when I went to a cardiologist because of regular flip-flop sensations in my chest. I had no other symptoms like dizziness, but sometimes my heart rate would spike at the same time. I wore a Holter monitor for a couple of weeks and fortunately it found nothing unusual. It was a very stressful time for me and the cardiologist said that the symptoms might be related to stress and anxiety. Just getting it checked out reduced my anxiety tremendously, and the symptoms went away within a few weeks.

I'm glad they were false positives!
I believe your situation would fall into the category of "worried well", people who worry about having a heart condition when in fact they are fine. I would estimate that this represents approximately 30% of new patient visits to a cardiologist.

A false positive would be if a test(such as the Apple Watch) found something to be abnormal when in fact, it is actually normal, ie the test was wrong.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
About the phrase “worried well”, that’s what professionals are for, to help people sort out symptoms. And anxiety is a common and painful thing that often can be fixed by reassurance and kind bedside manner. I’ve seen that many times.

Reactions: oeagleo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.