False App Store Updates?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by anyjungleinguy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. anyjungleinguy thread starter macrumors regular

That's some nice research. Thanks for sharing.

2. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Happened to me as well. The apps didn't really install and have the new features promised in the notes. Same versions came up today and redownloaded and now have the new features

3. jrajpaul macrumors newbie

After updating all my apps, I no longer experience the slight lag when tapping on the app icon.

4. friednoodles macrumors 6502

And it seems it wasn't only the launch images that were an issue with the app variants, they were also causing problems with iOS 9 backups. Here's the info directly from Apple. Apple's disabled app slicing for now and will reenable it in a future update:

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=092415a&1443125762

And a support document about how this has been impacting iOS 9 backups:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205268

"We reprocessed the impacted apps and made updated versions of them that are available for customers."

5. beany boy macrumors 6502

beany boy

I'm actually still having some problems with this on a more limited basis. I called Apple Care and well if ignorance is bliss these people are probably the happiest people in the world. I'm tired of this happening on my iPhone 6+ and on my 2 iPads.

6. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Noticed what seems to be the same issue happening over the last couple of days on the U.K. iOS App Store.

Only noticed because the release notes for an ‘updated’ app mentioned support for the new iPhone screen sizes, yet it didn’t fill iPhone X display. Looking closer, the app updated was dated 2 years ago.

7. FeliApple macrumors 6502a

FeliApple

"iOS apps are getting updates because of LLVM’s Bitcode

Example: a 2 year old build gets recompiled on Apple’s server because of some new compiler optimization and becomes available in the App Store without any action from the developer"
    That's what a developer said on Twitter about this issue. I'm not a developer, have no knowledge about this, so all I can do is quote.