Fame - Blessing or curse

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by greygray, Feb 14, 2010.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Is fame actually a blessing or curse?

Discuss.

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My vote really goes to a curse. Loss of privacy, among other things.

3. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Depends on the person. Some can handle it, some can't.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

It's a curse. That song is everywhere on a night out! ;)

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It entirely depends on the person. I'd personally say I enjoy the brief bit of fame I get when doing a gig.

However, I imagine I would get a bit annoyed if it was like that all the time.

6. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

I say fame is a blessing as it brings untold wealth to people who were once commoners. A good example would be Susan Boyle.

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Both and maybe neither. For the successful, it's a career with both pros and cons.

These people should know what they are getting into so I have very little pity for celebs whinging about their privacy. It's part of the deal and many are rewarded with massive paycheques for it.

On the other hand, many celebs manage to keep some semblance of normalcy and privacy, perhaps by not being such attention whores. Don't go to the most popular celeb hang out, known for paparazzi presence, and then complain when your photo is taken. :rolleyes: I think privacy can be maintained more easily than a lot of celebs will lead us to believe.

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

How could I be "some unknown assailant" if people recognised me?

10. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

FAME! I'm gonna live forever!

I'd say curse. Look at all the celebrities with screwed up lives. How many are normal? Tom Hanks? I think he's the only one.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

THIS ^^

Most don't know that the photographers show up because they are tipped off, often by the star or his/her rep.

Those stories in tabloids. Lots of them are supplied by the star pr their reps. Publicity and all.

12. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ I agree: Some celebs have their stupid, attention-grabbing antics and then complain they're in the news. Britney, for example.

It can be a blessing and curse, I think. Money doesn't bring happiness, but it can at least provide a measure of stability, together with a few of life's little pleasures.

Then again, if you don't want all the cons of the job, don't be a celebrity. You get perks, but if you want to have a somewhat normal life you have to be responsible.

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Although, I think it is more curse than blessing.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im not going to shed a tear for privacy loss when they are rolling out in multi-million dollar mansions with cars to match, some people have real problems.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Fame and money don't always go hand in hand though. In the UK at least you see countless Z-list "celebs" who are trying to clamber up the pile by appearing on shows like I'm a Celebrity... and the plethora of those dancing/singing shows. Their salaries for them shows are usually revealed by newspapers and a lot of them earn less than what "normal" people do.
    Its possible to be a washed up has-been performer or a reclusive millionaire.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

While better than infamy, I would consider it a curse.

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I think it can be a blessing if you use your fame to help others... People listen to you when you're famous and if you provide the right message I believe it can be a blessing for both you and those who choose to listen.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Depends on why I'm famous. :eek:

Yes, but now she can't even fart without someone wanting to smell it.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You say that in jest (I think) but good grief look at the dirty kleenex celebrities auction off for charity. I mean, it goes to a good cause, but, People c'mon!

22. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I agree with iBlue, you can for the most part take it or leave it. If I was in that situation, I am sure I would find it annoying, but a minor one. It comes with the territory.

However one thing that someone famous should never do is complain about it, even if it is a pain. Its damn annoying to hear these people talk about fans talking to them, wanting an autograph or people taking their picture when you just made millions for being in a film.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I sort of agree, but the one problem is that just because you want to be an actor, does not mean you want to be famous. It shouldn't come with the territory, although in reality, it does.

In my opinion, there are those who I'd consider "actors", and then there are movie stars. There are also "stars" that aren't famous for any reason at all, but lets ignore them. ;) They are not mutually exclusive, but I see that as unfortunate because not every actor wants to be a movie star. However, if they do great work and are nominated for an Academy Award, it's not like they really have a choice.

Yes, they could get paid less money for the same project, but that wouldn't make the fame go away. To have a lower profile, they could work on smaller projects, but it may mean that they miss out on the films that they actually want to make, and with the directors and actors they want to work with.

A perfect example would be Johnny Depp, or even someone like Harrison Ford.

24. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Her hype has died down. Now, she has to crash another car or shave her head again to earn back her attention. :eek:

Very true. You won't certainly tolerate people snapping pictures of you wherever you go. It's both irritating and frustrating.