Family Broadband Troubles.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CBGFilms, Nov 3, 2008.

1. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Hello everybody.
    Were a family of 4, and we all have our own computers, that share one internet connection (Via a wireless router). My dad connects his desktop via ethernet, while the rest of us wirelessly. Theirs to laptops and two desktops (One being my iMac!)

And I like to UPLOAD YouTube videos on a daily basis.
    My sister likes to download movies and music, frequently.
    And my parents like to browse forums, facebook, and job sites.

Now when I'm uploading a video, everyone in the house tells me to stop uploading, as it makes our internet connection practically unusable for about half an hour, and even longer when my sister is downloading also, its the same when my sister is downloading too, as the download or upload just hogs all the connection it can get.

I was wondering if there was a way to divide our internet bandwidth in to quaters[/B] and allow each of us to have an equal speed, which would mean when I upload videos, the strain would only be on me but take longer, but the rest of the family wouldnt be affected. I'm just asking is this POSSIBLE? And if YES how??!

Thanks in advanced, Charlie.
    P.S I didnt know what section to put this in, and thought it related to Advice so I put it here!!

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

It is possible...however I dont know that it would be to beneficial, depending on your internet connection.

How fast are we talking here? 256kbps? If it is then you simply need to get a faster internet connection.

If we are talking 6megs or more, then I would research in getting a QoS router. Basically it allows you to allot bandwidth by types of traffic, so that it doesnt slow the entire network.

These two items will do what you want, but both have different results, and cost different amounts...

3. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Were receiving about 4 or 5MB.

4. Guthix macrumors newbie

please provide a speed test of your connection and paste the results here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

it could be that your isp is congested at the time of day you choose to upload videos to youtube.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I've got Brighthouse/Roadrunner, my own D-Link modem and an Airport Extreme, there are 4 of us here and we all share, 4 laptops, 2 of which are Macs. We have no such issues. I don't know of any way to allocate bandwidth between users, you just get what's there, we all have no issues:D

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What type of internet connection do you have to the outside world? Most DSL or Cable services have much greater bandwidth downloading than uploading, which could explain why you run into trouble when you upload a video to Youtube.

My own DSL connection is 6 Mbit down/1.5 Mbit up, shared with 2 desktop PC's, one iMac, and one MacBook, with no slowdowns at all - but then I don't upload Youtube videos.