Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Heard that Verizon is going to launch family data plans by this summer. They will changing their data plans this summer to move into limited data plans.

I am one of those people who use less data for now. I am asking for reasonable costs, but I do not use more than 600-700 MB per month. I have never ever exceeded over 1GB of data. When will this AT&T offer family data plans...

T-mobile does it already by offering 200MB, 2GB, 5GB and 10GB.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
When will this AT&T offer family data plans...

You might want to give AT&T a call and ask them, so far their are no plans to offer a Family Data Plan, but what do I know, I'm just a random internet person with no internal connections with AT&T.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
It is a safe bet that if Verizon is going to family data then AT&T will be right there with them.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
We all all know that the iPhone will be "surprisingly" the only phone not eligible for a familly data palm for Verizon or Att

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Sprint is the only one I know with family data I think. T-mobile's family data is just a separate charge for data on each line so nothing is shared

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Cincinnati Bell had that for awhile too. Not sure if they still do. But $30 a month for unlimited family data (before 3G) was nice - especially for a previously-Blackberry group of friends.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I hope they do. I think it can be a real benefit. Especially if they want to offer a decent value. Looking T-Mobile, I don't like how they implemented it. A family play with two phones and you are still playing for two data plans with a shared pool. I would rather have a Family Plan with, for example 3 gb of data for 30 or 35 bucks. Sort of a 1.5 plan. While I use a good amount of data, my wife wouldn't and I don't want to be stuck paying for basically two data plans anyway. I don't see the benefit from what T-Mobile is doing other than the pooled data. I would have thought that they would bring a price decrease or something.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I hope they do. I think it can be a real benefit. Especially if they want to offer a decent value. Looking T-Mobile, I don't like how they implemented it. A family play with two phones and you are still playing for two data plans with a shared pool. I would rather have a Family Plan with, for example 3 gb of data for 30 or 35 bucks. Sort of a 1.5 plan. While I use a good amount of data, my wife wouldn't and I don't want to be stuck paying for basically two data plans anyway. I don't see the benefit from what T-Mobile is doing other than the pooled data. I would have thought that they would bring a price decrease or something.

I agree, the savings isn't that substantial.. considering that I have two 200MB ($30 total) lines right now with at&t. pooling a 200MB data plan while paying double the price isn't going to cut it ($20 total), so I'd have to get the 2gb shared data for $40, essentially paying $10 more per month than I am now, but with more data that I don't really need. it savings seems to make more sense though, if there are more people on a family plan.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
AT&T would be smart to move to family data plans now that they use tiered data pricing. This would encourage more people on family plans to all get smartphones since the price of a data plan is still the main barrier to upgrading for most people. As they use their smartphones more and more they will need more data and will slowly need to buy bigger buckets of data for the family. This is essentially what happened with minutes and text messages in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.