Family line upgrade on another line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by precator, Dec 1, 2011.

1. precator macrumors member

I want to use an upgrade on another line in my family plan because my current line is not eligible for an upgrade. If I purchase online, can they activate to another line? Do I need to call when I receive the phone?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

If you're going from 4 to 4s, you don't have to do anything but switch the SIM when you get your new phone. If you going from anything else to a 4S, you'll need to get a micro SIM from your carrier.

3. precator thread starter macrumors member

is it easy to switch the sim? or do i need to go to a store to do this.. I am switching from a 4 to a 4s

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You need a tiny paperclip and decent eyesight. Those are the only two requirements.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The only sim you have to switch is for the other line. When you get your phone, you can use your current sim in the new phone. But, the other line's sim will not work since the new sim deactivates the old one from that other line. However, I believe all this can be bypassed just by not activating the 4S when you get it.

6. precator thread starter macrumors member

so basically just call at&t and let them know my situation and they will switch things themselves?

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Nope.

1. Get new 4S
    2. Remove SIM from 4 and place in 4S
    3. ??????
    4. Profit.

This basically means just remove the SIM from 4S (since it's not activated, nor do you want it to be) and take your 4's SIM and put in the 4S. Power on the 4S and enjoy.

EDIT* Don't let anything confuse you. Just remove the SIM from the 4 and place it in the 4S. That's it.