iPhone Family locator app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gotiphone, Oct 25, 2015.

1. gotiphone macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2014
    Family of 4. iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, Galaxy S6, Moto X

I would like to use a single service/app so anyone in the family can do a on-demand lookup of where everyone else is and avoid the "where are you"? messages to co-ordinate pickups.

The 2 iPhones can use Apple's Find My iPhone app so that's great but the other 2 Android folks are left out. I know each platform/device manufacturer have their own device locator apps (e.g. Android Device Manager, Samsung Dive, Moto X Locate, etc) but I would prefer a single consistent app/service that works across all the devices.

There are a slew of cross-platform family locator type apps out there e.g. Life 360 but all of them need Location access=Always and Background Refresh=On. I am not comfortable allowing this sort of access.

Aren't there any 3rd party iPhone & Android apps that use the same techniue that Apple's built-in Find My Phone app uses to inspect and report the device location only when requested?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks
  2. Crusoe macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2014
    How about the built in Find My Friends app? Or did I miss part of your requirement?
  3. gotiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2014
    Maybe I am missing something. I see Find My Friends as a built-in app on my iPhone. But what about Android? Is there a corresponding Google Play Store app they can use? Can you point me to it?
  4. Crusoe macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Ah, sorry. Yes I did miss the Android part. My apologies.