Family looking into buying a used car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DJMastaWes, Aug 20, 2008.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Hello errrr-body.

My family currently owns a 2002 Toyota Carolla. The people who drive it are my mother, father and myself (my older brother doesn't drive).

We're looking for something that can fit 5 people (me, and my brother (who are 6'1") and his girlfriend) in the back, and my mom and dad in the front. We want something AWD, leather seats, decent on gas and an all around fun drive.

Keep in mind, once I get my license, I will also be driving this around with friends, so, no mini vans.

Our price range is 10,000-15,000CDN and we're looking to get something 2002 or newer.

I suggested a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro (1.8 Turbo) - I found one for like, $13,000 - but the Audi repairs aren't cheap.

Anyway, I figured some of you guys might have some suggestions on what would be good.

Thanks in advanced!

2. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Maybe a Subaru Forester or a Outback would meet your needs. Both have AWD I believe and are probably more reliable than the Audi. Since I own neither I can't say for sure, but others more knowledgeable than me can chime in.:apple:

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

If you want AWD, I would suggest a Subaru as well.

Forresters are ugly as heck, but have the most room. Other than that maybe the Legacy, which is snazzier.

4. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I have a subaru outback that just rolled over 171,000 miles and still drives great. They are known for being very reliable cars.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A Forrester, Outback, or a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix AWD.

TEG

6. gonyr macrumors 6502

I'll toss in another vote for the outback or the forester. Subaru's last forever (at least the engines do).

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

AWD and decent on gas don't happen together. :(

And if you're dead-set on leather, you'd have to go with either an Audi, a Legacy GT, or a Legacy L with the optional dealer-installed leather.
    And between those, I'd say it's a no-brainer: go with the Leggy GT. :D

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Forresters are butt ugly...I'd vote Legacy along with the others here.

9. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Man, I really hate the look of old subarus. If you take away the AWD, what else would you suggest that meets all the other descriptions.

10. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

I'm verging on 30mpg with my '97 outback, it is a manual transmission though and I drive pretty conservatively.

11. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Subaru is a good choice. I know quite a few people with outbacks and legacies that love them.

Audis and Volkswagens are good cars however they will cost you an arm and a leg to repair and they're always in the shop. We have a touareg and it is absolutely horrible. My dads coworker and it has been very troublesome as well. We know 5-6 people with 2002-2005 Passats that have not had good luck with them either. They have nice interiors and are extremely well built, however they're not reliable, parts are high, and they're built so complexly no one wants to work on them except dealers and specialty repair shops. I would say a 4Motion passat would be a good choice but after knowing 5-6 people that would never buy another, I don't recommend it.

There really are not a lot of AWD sedans out there that aren't luxury. I think you can get AWD in the ford fusion which is supposedly a decent car. I have seen FWD sedans in action with traction control w/all season tires and it really works wonders. I really think that FWD with traction control is in some cases better than AWD because you'll get much better fuel economy. You won't have the full power of AWD or the correctional abilities it offers on slick surfaces but its still an excellent system.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you don't require sporty and would rather have 4WD and room inside with decent mpg, might look at a Ford Escape or Mercury Mariner with the I-4 and possibly the hybrid.

The mileage of the I-4 isn't really bad on mpg, and the hybrid is quite a bit better in the city.

The VW Tiguan is too new and about $30k US.

13. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

My recommendation would be a Legacy.

Sorry you've had trouble. Four VW products where I work have been lemoned including two Touaregs.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I really like the legacy too. My friends dad buys nothing but them and loves them.

Yea our touareg has a little under 50,000 miles and its just had so much go wrong with it- locks, windows, cd player, CV joints, air suspension parts, alternator, 2 fuel pumps etc etc etc etc it never ends. My dad's coworker's goes through tires very rapidly along with electrical things.

15. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Leather is a requirement? :rolleyes:

Get a Honda Element. :D