Family Member Upgrade Eligible - Question?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by motodad120, Sep 17, 2010.

1. motodad120 macrumors newbie

Hello All,

My step father is upgrade elibilge on his line with AT&T and he is allowing me to take advantage of this to purchase an iPhone 4. I was planning on purchasing the phone via the Apple store and then jailbreaking it for my T-Mobile service. I've done some research and realize all the parameters involved. Will Apple have to activate the phone on the spot for the new micro-SIM? How can I do this without much interruption with re-activating his old sim to his old phone? Has anyone done this before? Any tips or tricks anyone can offer will be much apprecaited.

Thanks!

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Just be aware. The phone will likely come with 4.1 firmware.
    To use it on T-Mobile requires a jailbreak and unlock
    The jailbreak is being worked on, but there is no known exploit for a new tool to unlock the baseband to allow the use of T-Mobile

Hint: You may be waiting for a while to use on T-Mobile.

3. motodad120 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I am in no hurry. I am mainly concerned with getting his old (current) phone back in service right away. Can I purchase the iPhone 4 and then get home and re-activate his old SIM somehow?

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Those questions are best posed to an AT&T sales person.

5. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

if they do activate the new sim, you cannot reactivate a old sim. He will have to be issued a new one (att should give you one for free).

If they ship you the phone, you can just not activate the new sim that comes in the iPhone.

if he never had a data plan, he will now that he has an iPhone on his line. He will need to contact att and let them know he is using another device so they can remove the data plan

6. motodad120 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if the Apple store makes you activate the phone on the spot upon purchase?

Thanks!!!

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes they do. If you order it online from AT&T they do not.