Family needs Mac's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oyobiia, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Oyobiia macrumors member

Hai ;D

Before Christmas my family was like windows this and windows that. But for Christmas I had a 20" Alu iMac. not long after that I brought my self a white macbook for my birthday.

Now my dad is really looking at getting a Mac. He is not sure to have my MacBook and get me a MacBook Pro or to get himself a 20" iMac.

What would you suggest he gets from his merge to mac.

EDIT

Needs to be portable...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What will he be using his computer for?

Basic email and internet?

Business?

Video?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's your father's budget? In any case, I would suggest buying the Mac mini along with upgraded RAM to at least 2GB.

Then he can buy a monitor; that way in case he wants to upgrade later to a faster computer or say a laptop, he can still use the external monitor; with the iMac you're essentially wasting a good monitor when you upgrade the computer.

5. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

Mhm.

My dad would use it for a lot of company work. I just asked him and he says he needs it to be portable so that looks like the iMac is out the window.

The company he works for is like one of those great ones. Like...
    You work for a hour then you go and have a 2 hours break etc.

So it would be used for internet, IM and then when he is working using Adobe products and some products the company has made specially.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But the thing is, will the applications made by your dad's firm be able to run on Mac OS X?

If not, he could still use a Windows PC, if he really depends on it.

Otherwise, if he thinks those MacBooks are to be had, he can run Windows software via a virtual machine (Parallels or VM Ware) or Boot Camp.