Family Pack for MobileMe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MAClover143, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MAClover143 macrumors member

I am a recent convert to Apple, purchasing the iPhone last December and a MacBook in January (I am buying the iPhone 3G on Fri since I recently sold mine). My bf has a MacBook Pro and is planning on getting the new iPhone 3G.

We share 1 iTunes account for our music. How would the mobile me family pack for us work?

Would we each get our own @me.com email addresses? Would our contacts and calendars be synced?

Does anyone have proof that the MobileMe service will be discounted with the purchase of the iPhone?

Off topic but: Is there a way to put my iTunes on his computer with all of my songs?

Thank you in advance!

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yes it will be discounted, and yes you each get your own @me.com email adressed. 5 total. and im not so sure about the other questions

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

iTunes is completely unrelated to mobileme. As far as I'm aware you can plug in multiple ipod devices to your computer and sync them up. The main issue is that an ipod/iphone can only be synched to one computer at a time.

If you each want a separate .me e-mail account (as opposed to one account that you share but set up with aliases), you will need to get more than one .me package. The family pack comes with 5, but is probably still a good deal.

And yes, you can transfer all your songs to his computer and authorize his computer to play them. (You can do this for up to 5 computers)

4. MAClover143 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry I wasn't sure if it synched through iTunes- I meant that since the music is on my computer and he synced his music with my computer would he still be able to get his own contacts/calendar and not mine.

Also, what do you mean about aliases? If we were to do this would all of our contacts/calendars be synced together?

And one last question, if I put all of my music onto his computer would it update as I add songs? If he adds songs would it update mine?

Thanks again!

5. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

nothing native in itunes lets two computers sync together. i wish it did... it would save me and my gf quite a bit of time swapping songs when one another buys them or accidentally buys one the other has!

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

All you have to do is plug your ipod into your friends computer and itunes will ask if you want to sync with this computer or just transfer your purchases. Of course you pick the latter.

7. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

and it only works with purchases made through itunes, not cd's you've ripped or music downloaded from other places.

8. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I'm still trying to find out about the Family pack syncing.

My wife and I both have macs and both have iPhones. I'd like to get the MobileMe Family pack, but we want to keep our contacts/calendar/bookmarks seperate.

How does the family pack work in this respect?

9. MAClover143 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone know what this means-aliases? Is it possible to have 2 people use one me account?

10. jplan2008 macrumors regular

For some of the various questions:

Each MobileMe account receives five aliases -- these are separate email addresses, but they all go into the main inbox, so aren't really useful for sharing an account. They're good for on-line registration, purchases, etc. You can use different names, and you can delete one or more if you start getting a lot of junk/spam, and simply create a new one. You CAN'T upgrade an alias to anything else.

You can add an "email only" account for $9.99 per year, that person doesn't get any features other than email, but I assume it will be push. They could then sync calendars/contacts wired via iTunes for iPhone like they can now. This account would have separate inbox/password/etc. This CAN be upgraded to a regular account or a "sub-account" on a family pack at any time. You can also delete an email-only account and change the address to a new one. (you CAN'T change address on main account)

A family pack is $149 and has a main account with the same storage and features as individuals, and 4 sub-accounts, each with 5 GB storage (between iDisk, email, photo galleries, iWeb on a Mac, etc) -- they can use all the MobileMe features. Each account has its own email address and password, syncing settings, iDisk, etc.

I assume that the push contacts and push calendars will be similar to the wired ones now. For those that want to share contacts/calendars, you can set up different MobileME accounts to sync (push) on same Mac (PC) account.

For those that DON'T want to share calendars/contacts, just use different user accounts on Mac (and do whatever equivalent is on PC ... ), and different MobileME accounts (a sub-account on family pack gets all the features, just less storage -- but if family pack is shared between two people,the second person could use the extra sub-accounts for iDisk storage, etc)

None of the syncing and pushing has to do with iTunes MUSIC. But two friends with MobileME could put their new music on each of their "public" folders of their iDisk and share that way. (should still put password and tell your friend the password). If it's purchased music, the friend's computer will need to be authorized, as someone said.

(I'm not exactly sure how some of these features will be set up on a PC, I know that you need a Mac for the web hosting -- only works with iWeb -- not sure about everything else)

11. redshield3 macrumors newbie

I'm considering getting a family pack also, but I'm not sure whether to wait till tomorrow when my girlfriend and I buy two iPhones or to just go ahead and get it today so I can get my sync on in the store. Is the family pack only going to have the same $30 discount as the single license or will it be more heavily discounted?