Family Pack Question

ladiauctioneer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Hi All,

I just ordered the Family Pack of Leopard. I, my husband and son have Macs here at home but my daughter is away at college. Does she qualify to use the Family Pack install?

Thanks,
DD

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hi All,

I just ordered the Family Pack of Leopard. I, my husband and son have Macs here at home but my daughter is away at college. Does she qualify to use the Family Pack install?

Thanks,
DD
Ya, I would think so. She is family... I am guessing she still comes home for the holidays and what not. So she does live in your household.

Just so you know Apple Police will not be coming after you.
They can't tell if you installed it on her computer or not. (Heck, They can't even tell if you lent it to your neighbor down the street..)

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Because she's not living under the same roof, technically, it would be against the license, but as she is family, and that only bring the computers to 4 (out of 5), it's not like GTA.

Apple wont come after you, don't worry. I'd let her use the disc to install it, perfectly acceptable.

Comment

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Because she's not living under the same roof, technically, it would be against the license, but as she is family, and that only bring the computers to 4 (out of 5), it's not like GTA.

Apple wont come after you, don't worry. I'd let her use the disc to install it, perfectly acceptable.
That's not true. The policy for the family pack says that if someone considers a household their primary residence but is off at school, they still fall under the same "family" when buying a family pack.

Comment

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
That's not true. The policy for the family pack says that if someone considers a household their primary residence but is off at school, they still fall under the same "family" when buying a family pack.
Really, well there we go, shows how much I read important legal documentation :p

You have your green light ladiauctioneer

Comment

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Really, well there we go, shows how much I read important legal documentation :p

You have your green light ladiauctioneer
Haha it's always that fine print at the bottom of the webpage that gives the most useful info. You'd think they'd make a little bit more prominent.:rolleyes:

Comment

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just so that there's no doubt, here's the footnote from Apple's Leopard pre-ordering page:

The Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that household. By “household” we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home, or condominium, including student members who are primary residents of that household but reside at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users.

Comment

ladiauctioneer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Thank you !

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help. This is my first post **Great Experience!**

Have a great day!
DD

Comment

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Is it possible for the collegian to burn a copy of the install disk(s) to take off to school in case re-installation is necessary? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, I'm not sure what kind of protection is built-in or if the install disks would ever be needed, I just know I'd feel "naked" if off at school without the necessities to rebuild in an emergency.

Comment