Family phone swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Aug 23, 2012.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I have 4 phones on my account. 2 are out of contract, 2 are not.

I plan on buying two iPhone 5s on launch day. 1 will replace an off contract phone, and the other will replace a phone currently on contract. However, I plan on purchasing both iPhones using the two off-contract phones upgrade option.

After they arrive in the mail, what do I need to do to swap the new iPhone for one still on contract?

Anyone done this recently and have any quick tips and/or pointers to make it happen smoothly?

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Depends on your carrier. GSM, swap the sim cards. CDMA you'll have to call in or can do it online.

3. revm1m macrumors member

GSM, swap the sim cards

I dont think you would be able to do this , because iphone5 will have smaller sim card.

4. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This is with AT&T by the way.

Can I just walk into an AT&T store and have them do it?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep.

If the new phones use the same sized SIM cards you can just swap them and that's it, but it's looking like the new phone may have new smaller cards, so that won't work.

Just go into AT&T and tell them what you want. Since all the phones are AT&T iPhones they can do this with no problem.

When I sold my iPhone4 to my friend's wife to replace her 3G, we went to the AT&T store and they took out my 4's SIM, made a new one with her info, and put it in.

That was it.

6. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That just takes care of the phone part, btw. Make sure you have backups in either iTunes or iCloud that are up to dates so you can wipe phones and re-load them as the proper versions with people's apps and settings and everything.

8. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Yep! I'm good with that aspect of it...I was just looking to see what others have done in terms of ordering on an off contract phone for one on contract.