Family plan 2gb limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SolRayz, Jun 7, 2010.

1. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

So if I have two iphones on a family plan, will both phones have a 2gb limit, or will they share the 2gb? Anyone know how ATT will handle this?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There is no family data plan with at&t, each phone has its own data plan. Therefore, it would be 2 GB per iPhone.

3. SolRayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

4. araczek macrumors member

5. Incindium macrumors member

Nothing on that fact sheet says anything about shared a family data plan. Actually if you figured it out the voice and data prices listed are with a data plan charge for each line.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Does AT&T allow you to share text messaging on their family plan?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Only if you purchase the $30 family unlimited text plan. Otherwise, the 200 text or 1500 texts are just for the specific iPhone.

8. Truz21 macrumors member

Wow thanks so much for that PDF, it helps a bunch and explains everything. The person earlier is right that there is no FAMILY data plan, although the PDF makes it seem like there is, Look:

AT&T DataPlus (2Lines) Gets You
    500 Anytime Minutes, Unltd Mobile/Nights&Wknds
    200MB Per Month
    For $89.99

It looks like a family plan, but they are still charging you $15 for each line for Data.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That sucks. Guess I'll keep that $5.00 from the reduced data plan in my pocket.

10. araczek macrumors member

Okay maybe I'm missing a Friday but I would assume "total voice and data" means the price of voice AND data. That's how it reads to me. I mean it says
    "+ AT&T DataPro (2 lines)".

??

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's exactly what incindium is saying; maybe you should re-read his post for better comprehension.

He clearly states: "voice and data prices listed are with data plans charged for each line." That CLEARLY means there is not a "shared" data plan to which the OP was referring.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

All they have done is added the cost of 2 DataPro plans to the cost of the family talk time. It looks like a family data plan, but it is not. If you add another line with data they will add $10 for the line and the associated cost of the data plan.

13. araczek macrumors member

Okay, fine. I am not going to argue semantics. Whatever you want to call it.
    Bottom line is I understand the charges. I understand each phone gets it's own 2GB cap. Asked this somewhere else. So for my example for datapro 700 min it would be if I am right

2 phones
    119 plan
    30 texting

Each additoinal phone
    10 phone
    25 plan

Connection fees? Any other fee's I need to factor in? Insurance (if I want it)
    Not to mention my ETF's with Verizon. Have disliked Verizons business tactics for a while and am tired of my LG dare.

14. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes there are generally $36 per line activation fees, can easily be waived if you buy your iPhones through a retail AT&T store. Apple employees will not be able to get those fees waived.

15. araczek macrumors member

Do I need to pay for a month of the plan when I buy/activate the phone?

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No but your first montly service bill will include a partial month (average 10-25 days dending on the billing date the is assigned by the system) of service based on the date of activation + a full month of service + any activation fee ($36) or upgrade fee ($18).

That first bill can be quite a shock. Start saving now....

Dave