Family plan loophole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmms8, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Hello, i am a member that was not eligible for an upgrade but another person in my family plan was. I extended their line but switched the iPhone to my line.

My question is, i am eligible for an upgrade in January 2009, so can't i purchase a new iPhone at that time for 199/299 and sell it?

I might be missing something, but it seems that that would be possible..

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If someone else in your family plan contract is upgrade eligible and you get the new iPhone, that means that number you upgraded isn't eligible for another 2 years now.

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

This is not a loophole, it s expected. People been using upgrades like this since dawn of time.

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't think i ever said it was a loophole?

5. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

He probably mis-quoted. But it definitely isn't a loophole, AT&T couldn't care less if you do this, they're still getting their money :p

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Meant to quote the OP of this post.

7. TonyMil macrumors member

Which line is the data plan assigned to?
    I have a family plan myself but only have a data plan on one number while the other number has data blocked.

If you upgraded 555-1111 and the plan changed to add data charges to it but then you put the sim card of 555-2222 into the iPhone you may get a monster bill at the end of the month for data charges to 555-2222. Just something to check.

And yes, you can upgrade your line at that point and buy another iPhone.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you could upgrade but you are also extending the contract, so there is no gain