Family Plan - Need to share households?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dezlboy, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Dezlboy macrumors regular

I am ATT customer eligible for an iPhone. My mom lives in same state, different area code, not ATT customer. When I get iPhone I need to either increase my minutes OR get Mom to become ATT customer so the minutes are free when talking to her. (i am running over my current limit - and speak with her a lot).

The extra minutes will be about an additional $30, the same price as adding a line to a family plan. Then if she gets an iPhone, I don't get her the data plan. So the cost is about the same either way. Right?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mb2008 macrumors regular

Adding a line is only $9.99. I'm kinda confused as to what you need. If you just need to add your mom, the $9.99 is enough, since calling her will not count against your minutes. Every iPhone 3G gets a $30 data plan, so if your mother gets one, you will be paying $60 for data plans. You can put a 2G on the network without data, but I don't think AT&T will do the same for the 3Gs. I have 4 lines from 3 different households on my family plan, no problem.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

First your mom does not have to buy an iPhone just because you buy one. You can have a FamilyTalk plan with only one iPhone. I know the AT&T system does not show that in their examples. AT&T will require the both iPhones to have the $30 rate plan on each line. So unless your mom really wants an iPhone, I would suggest she consider a different phone.

You may be able to select the FamilyTalk 550 rate plan for 59.99 for both phones and then you just need to add the $30 data plan. I say maybe because the FamilyTalk 550 is not available in all markets. Just enter your ZIPCODE and check.

You can even purchase your iPhone 3G at Apple and then you / your mom can get a "Free" or discouted phone at any AT&T store. Once you have both lines, you can call AT&T Customer Care and have the two individual lines merged into a FamilyTalk plan.

Dave

4. Dezlboy thread starter macrumors regular

Dave006 and mb2008 - thanks for the advice. Mom doesn't want an iPhone - so I will check out the Family Talk 550.