Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hi.

My dad is currently on a family plan, and he is the main account holder. He gave me all his info and wants me to purchase an iPhone 4 for him. It's his first iPhone and wants me to set everything up for him on it (i.e. apps, music videos, bumper, etc). I was thinking of ordering it for him and having it shipped directly to me so I can customize it exactly how he wants, and then mail it back to him. I am not on that family plan, as I have my own individual plan. I am in a different state than my dad as well.

Will I be able to pre-order an iPhone with his info and have it shipped to me first, even though my address is not the same address as on the family plan account? He is upgrade eligible for the $199 deal.

Let me know your past experience or knowledge for pre-orders for iPhone 3G/3G(S).

Thanks.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
Hi.

My dad is currently on a family plan, and he is the main account holder. He gave me all his info and wants me to purchase an iPhone 4 for him. It's his first iPhone and wants me to set everything up for him on it (i.e. apps, music videos, bumper, etc). I was thinking of ordering it for him and having it shipped directly to me so I can customize it exactly how he wants, and then mail it back to him. I am not on that family plan, as I have my own individual plan. I am in a different state than my dad as well.

Will I be able to pre-order an iPhone with his info and have it shipped to me first, even though my address is not the same address as on the family plan account? He is upgrade eligible for the $199 deal.

Let me know your past experience or knowledge for pre-orders for iPhone 3G/3G(S).

Thanks.

I'd say if you have all of his info, then you should be able to have it shipped to your place due to this little bit of information below...

"New this year, we’re excited to offer customers the option to ship preorders directly to their home or business, for delivery as soon as launch day, Thursday, June 24. When placing their order, customers can select home or business delivery and provide their preferred shipping address. We’ll send an email to confirm the order has been placed, and a second email to confirm their device has shipped."

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/f..._sheet_ip4.pdf

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Hi.

Thanks.

As noted above, yes you can.

However, it would be the sending it to your dad through the mail that would worry me more.

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
As noted above, yes you can.

However, it would be the sending it to your dad through the mail that would worry me more.

Very true, but I'd assume if he/she put the phone back into all of the original packaging it shipped to her house in, and shipped it that way, it would be perfectly fine.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Very true, but I'd assume if he/she put the phone back into all of the original packaging it shipped to her house in, and shipped it that way, it would be perfectly fine.

Yeah, but I am just thinking in terms of insurance and just because you package it well, does not mean that everyone else will handle it with ease! :eek:

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Thanks for all your responses. I'm also ordering an iPhone 4 for myself on my own personal plan, being shipped to my same address. That's why I was worried, because I was going to have my dad's shipped to my address from his family plan and my own too.

I wish we could both be on the same family plan, but we have/need different area codes and we are not in the same time zones.

I'd say if you have all of his info, then you should be able to have it shipped to your place due to this little bit of information below...

"New this year, we’re excited to offer customers the option to ship preorders directly to their home or business, for delivery as soon as launch day, Thursday, June 24. When placing their order, customers can select home or business delivery and provide their preferred shipping address. We’ll send an email to confirm the order has been placed, and a second email to confirm their device has shipped."

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/f..._sheet_ip4.pdf

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks for all your responses. I'm also ordering an iPhone 4 for myself on my own personal plan, being shipped to my same address. That's why I was worried, because I was going to have my dad's shipped to my address from his family plan and my own too.

I wish we could both be on the same family plan, but we have/need different area codes and we are not in the same time zones.

Hop on dad's plan and get a Google Voice number with your area code you need and have your new number point to it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.