Family Plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmms8, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I have a family plan with an eligible upgrade line. I plan on getting the iPhone on friday but i am moving to another state in a couple weeks. People on the board stated that i would be able to just change the number for my one line since i am the only one moving away. ATT stated that this is not possible, and all four lines would have to change area code, not just one. So basically they are saying i would need to keep a San Diego area code number in Dallas, Texas to be apart of the family plan. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem, please let me know if this is or is not possible, thanks!

2. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

3. guru_ck macrumors 6502

That's a load of BS. I have 3 different area codes on my family plan account.

4. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

are they in different states? if they are all in california that might be fine, but in my situation 3 lines will be in San Diego, and one line will be Dallas. Please let me know if you said anything to them, or they just did it for you? Thanks!

5. guru_ck macrumors 6502

2 in California
    1 in Nevada

Go down to a retail store and see if the rep can do it, if not ask for a manager.

6. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for the quick reply. yea i went to an att corporate store and i called att after. the store said it was no possible on their computers. your 3 numbers might be in the same region i dont know. hopefully they will listen and let me do it.

7. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Yeah that could be it. Also when we added the Las Vegas number we added it through a Cingular authorized retailer called Parrot Cellular. They may have been a little more lenient than Cingular would have been at the time.

I guess I can see why AT&T wouldn't allow area codes in other states. People would probably be putting their entire families on them and AT&T would lose out on revenue.

Good luck!

8. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

i see, thanks for your help. i understand their point of view but we have had the family plan for over 2 years. it is not like i am trying to add someone on or anything, i am just moving. i wish they had some sort of policy on this. i will call them tomorrow and try to figure it out.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know, thanks!

9. GSB macrumors newbie

Any success with this?

Hello, Did you have any success with getting this worked out? My boyfriend and I are trying to merge our iPhone accounts (he's had his for 6 months, I just got mine) into a Family Talk plan but they're telling us that we can't since our numbers originated in different "markets" (mine is an 818 area code in their "Pacific market", his is 530 from their "Northern California market"- we've both had our numbers for 10 years and don't want to change either one!) and they will not acomodate us. I am so angry especially because no one we talked to before I switched to AT&T told us about this. Is there anything I can do? Thank you!

10. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hello I am sorry it won't work unless one of you guys own a business and get a business account. Good luck