Family Plan Upgrade Eligibility Transfer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chauz, Jul 5, 2008.

1. chauz macrumors newbie

Hey guys, quick question that I haven't had answered by AT&T:

I have a family plan with 2 lines. Line 1 is my line and not eligible for upgrade. Line 2 is eligible. Is it possible to transfer the upgrade from Line 2 and use it to upgrade my Line 1? The AT&T rep said normally it would be fine, but he didn't know if the iPhone could do it, claiming it wasn't possible for the original iPhone. Anyone heard anything about this? Thanks!

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Last time I checked you can't do that?!?!
    I tried that once ( when I wanted a Blackberry ) and they said no

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'm in the exact same situation

I just got off the phone with ATT and he said that you could not transfer the eligiblity, BUT you could purchase the iPhone for the line that is eligible for upgrade, then just switch the SIM cards and put the Data plan onto your line.

This, however, would renew the contract for the line that was upgrade eligible, so while you got a new iPhone on your line, your line would still not have a renewed contract, the other line's contract would renew.

But then if you wanted a new phone on the other line, you could use your upgrade eligibility once you became upgrade eligible to get the phone, then put the other sim card in this new phone, in effect you are ''transferring eligibility'' but technically you're not.

4. enjoiles macrumors newbie

I am in your same situation. I recently went to one of the AT&T stores around my area, regarding my (your) situation. The guy went straight to the back after I asked him and came back a couple minutes later with the answer. Yes, we will be able to do that, as I was able to do that in the past. I also chatted online with an AT&T rep, who said that we would be able to do that, as well. However, I would take these answers with a grain of salt, and would go into your local AT&T stores within the next couple days, before iDay, which I will be doing.

5. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Went to my local AT&T store to see if it would be possible to use another family member's upgrade for the iPhone. I told them that an AT&T rep said that I could as long as I reminded them that the hardware would go to me. Thus my line would take the iPhone at the discount and the other would get the new 2 yr contract.

They flat out told me no way--not for the iPhone. No exceptions.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It's odd that so many people are saying this isn't possible. My mom and I (14yo) went to ATT yesterday for this exact reason. My mom is eligible for an upgrade but doesn't need it and I am not eligible till September. We asked specifically about transferring upgrades for the new iPhone and the guy said we could do it just like with any other phone. I don't know if that is true for everyone, but just my 2cents........:)

7. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

I don't think anything has been set in stone with this due to the varying responses. I don't see why they wouldn't allow this: they still make their money with the phone and a 2 year contract.

8. chauz thread starter macrumors newbie

I received these two responses today from local stores (Burlington and Woburn, MA respectively):

1) Cannot do it. Itunes will not allow you to switch the sim and upgrade from your other line.

2) "Don't quote me on this," were his words, but I will anyway. It was suggested that I upgrade the eligible line, then come in a week later and have them switch the serial #s in the system and the plans. It was said by corporate, apparently, that if anything seems fishy with a sale, don't make the sale.

I wish I knew the actual answer to if this will be possible or not....

9. enjoiles macrumors newbie

That is one of the options I am leaving in the back of my head. It's possible that they can switch numbers, so that you can get your original number back, correct?

10. chauz thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I am going to upgrade the eligible line, and see if I can somehow work it out. If not, I will just return the phone and get an early upgrade on my primary line. Or maybe I will just return it and not blow the $400. Who knows...