Family Plan VS Individual Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by D-Jam, Mar 17, 2009.

1. D-Jam macrumors member

Has anyone noticed that to have two iPhones on a family plan, be it two 3G phones or one 3G and one 1st generation iPhone...that it will end up costing you MORE per user and you get LESS minutes than two individual plans?

I tried to do the math based on information from AT&T's web site and their customer service reps. You end up paying $10-$20 more per month per user for 100 less minutes per user on a 700-min family plan as opposed to two individual plans each containing 450 min. All plans would contain unlimited data and unlimited SMS.

Is that a scam or what?

Or did I miss something?

2. neilp4453 macrumors regular

What is the lowest plan for individual users?

I know for family, you can get the 59.99 plan (2 lines) + $30 (unlimited texting all lines) + $30 x 2 (2x Data Plans for iPhone).

I'd guess for individual it would be

(Voice plan + $20 unlimited texting + $30 data plan) times 2.

For minutes, I don't know the specifics.

3. D-Jam thread starter macrumors member

Ok...I messed up.

I got some bad data from that service rep and I found my mistake.

I saw $129.99 per month for the 2 iPhones 700 min voice and data. My fiance has a 1st gen iPhone she'll be using. I figured it would be $129.99 + $30 for my 3G phone + $30 for unlimited SMS.

Where I messed up is the 700 min plan WITHOUT DATA is $69.99 per month. So the grand total would probably be $149.99 for it all ($74.99 per user). Thus being now less expensive than the two individual plans.

Apologies for the mishap. Go iPhone! :D

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

It gets even better when you split it four ways! Plus I get a University discount. If you work for a "major" company you might look to see if there is a corporate discount. It knocks my bill down $25/month (I think...).

5. D-Jam thread starter macrumors member

I definitely have a corporate discount on AT&T services and on Apple products. I will do be taking advantage of that. ;)