Family Plan - Want to Preorder 2 Phones - How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hellodon, Jun 11, 2009.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Has anyone done this?

I want to preorder 2 phones, 1 for each line on my family plan.

Wanted to call apple and ask how to do it but its a 2 hour wait time on the phone.

I entered one of the phone numbers and the billing zip code/social security number and went through and added a phone to the cart no problem.

I then went back and tried the other phone number and did the same thing just to see if it allowed both numbers through and it worked.

I then ended up with 2 phones in my cart - but it doesnt say anything about the phone number attached to each phone - so I have a feeling that MAYBE the phones would come with the same number on both of them - a little scared off by that.

So I'm wondering, has anyone with a family plan ordered iPhones for multiple lines on their family account?

I'm thinking that maybe I can go through with one number, completely check out. Then go through and do the same with another number and completely check out. The only thing I'm worried about then is how screwed up my bill will be....I have unlimited famliy texts and minutes. I dont want it to screw up my account even though I know a quick trip or call to ATT would fix it. I also have a discount applied to my account and I'm also fearful that would get screwed up.

Anyway - I can deal with the billing issues later. I guess my main question at this point is if anyone has done this, what did you do?

Thanks in advance!

2. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

I just tried to help my friend do something similar but both ATT and Apple's website only allows you to pre-order/activate one phone online. If you want to do two iPhones on a family plan you have to go to the store. Bummer though.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

If you are upgrading existing FamilyTalk lines, you just need to enter two (2) individual orders using the Apple.com site. Do not try to combine the purchase in one transaction.

For the other poster, if you are new to AT&T and want to purchase two phones for a FamilyTalk plan then you will need to order two (2) individual lines on Apple.com and then call AT&T Customer Care after you receive the phones and have complete the activation and have the lines merged into a FamilyTalk rate plan. If you order both lines in the same customer's name, it will make the merge step easier.

Dave

4. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay awesome, that's what I was thinking but I wasnt sure...thanks! Is this definitely the confirmed way to go?

Do you know if I need to add texts to it or anything to keep my account the way it is?

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

All you need to do is log in each time with the right phone number. My boyfriend and I are on the same family plan and simply ordered ours separately. The only trick is if you have the $30 family texting plan. Apple's page doesn't know what to do with it and it errors. Take it off your plan, order, then re-add it. That is what we did. Works great!!

6. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

I do have that texting plan, thats the unlimited right?

....so I need to login to my AT&T account, turn it off, complete the purchases individually with each phone number, then go back and turn it back on in my AT&T account and it should be all set?

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

exactly. just make sure your family knows not to send texts in between or you'll probably get charged individually for them.

8. BassetCase macrumors member

My husband and I are new to AT&T so we just went to the store to preorder. I guess we could have done it seperately online and then called later but I feel better about having them done at the store when we get our phones since it is a new account.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

As much as I love the Apple store...I walked into an AT&T store yesterday and they helped me set up EVERYTHING properly and sold me the phone on the spot. I just have to pick it up next week. (I'm adding my wife...converting my individaul plan to a family plan.)

Apple wouldn't have been able to answer all of my account questions that perfectly, and they won't sell the phone yet, just 'reserve' it.

In other words, just go to an AT&T store today and ask all your questions. I was very pleased with how well they were able to help me.

10. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

I would much rather go to the AT&T store...trust me...especially after how badly Apple screwed up my account last time...but here's the issue.

Right now when I go through the Apple preorder, it's showing that I can get the phone for $399.00 (for the 16GB).

I bought the 3G in October...so as far as I knew, I wasnt eligible for any sort of discounted price on the phone at this time, but I can check out at that price through Apple which is why I thought I should go through them. Is that a glitch or are we (as previous iPhone users) allowed to get the phones for $399/$499 respectively? I thought the price for me would be $599/$699...so when I saw that I was surprised and wanted to jump on it.

If I can walk into AT&T and they will sell them to me for $399 I will DEFINITELY go there. Will be so much easier. But if they're going to come up $599 I am going to have to order online - because it will definitely charge me that amount online...whether it's correct or not, it will go through and the phone will ship...then they can't go back on it if it's an error.

Did I misunderstand? Should I be able to get the phone for $399 anywhere as a previous owner?

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

$399 and $499 are the early upgrade prices from ATT. They are partially subsidized because they have you sign another 2 year contract.