Family plans on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk1wbw, Sep 7, 2012.

1. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

So my wife and I want to switch from the horrid Sprint to Verizon after the iPhone comes out next week. Her son and his girlfriend are switching too.

Anyone can tell me if it would be cheaper to have 4 people on a family plan versus just two? I have no idea.

2. sk1wbw thread starter macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Yeah, all 4 on the new iPhone and no tablets. Was just wondering if it's cheaper to have 4 phones on one plan instead of two phones on two separate plans.

3. wongulous macrumors 6502a

It is always cheaper to have more people on a plan. In some cases, nearly cheaper than basic prepaid service. The single line account is always the highest cost per line.

That said, with Verizon's Share Everything plans, the only scaling discount is really the data package... I.e. 10gb is lower cost/gb than 4gb. The monthly access fees (be it smartphone, dumbphone, netbook, tablet) are flat $40/$30/$20/$10 respectively, as opposed to the large initial plan price and smaller additional line price (like Sprint's family plans).

Moving to Verizon is never a cost-saving measure. Lol. They're a premium network and you pay for that all around.

4. mostlynameless macrumors member

Since everyone will share one pool of data, I wouldn't put anybody on my plan that I didn't love more than I love my data. And there aren't too many folks in that group.

Remember, if they eat it all up either you get less or you pay for more.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

6. sk1wbw thread starter macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I've only had me and my wife on a plan for years now, so I didn't know what carriers charge for extra lines.

I'll check that link out. Thanks.

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Cool. Once you get it straightened out, could you let us know the numbers you came up with, to help everyone out? (And then mark thread as "Resolved"?)

Thanks,
    Will

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

If you go to the store they will have more answers than their website. If you get a salesperson that knows more. I find they will have more answers than the sites. And you might come out cheaper. Also ask your friends and co-workers who are on Verizon. If you work for the govt, there is some discounts. I recently did an event at a school and noticed a lot of teachers using iPhones. I asked them what they like and didn't. Most of them are on iPhones cause it was cheaper (govt. discount) and two the wi-fi access was better than using school phones. They were all on Verizon too.

9. sk1wbw thread starter macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I'm retired Navy, plus I work for a company that I think has a Verizon discount. I'll hit a store here soon and ask.