Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So my wife and I want to switch from the horrid Sprint to Verizon after the iPhone comes out next week. Her son and his girlfriend are switching too.

Anyone can tell me if it would be cheaper to have 4 people on a family plan versus just two? I have no idea.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
It is always cheaper to have more people on a plan. In some cases, nearly cheaper than basic prepaid service. The single line account is always the highest cost per line.

That said, with Verizon's Share Everything plans, the only scaling discount is really the data package... I.e. 10gb is lower cost/gb than 4gb. The monthly access fees (be it smartphone, dumbphone, netbook, tablet) are flat $40/$30/$20/$10 respectively, as opposed to the large initial plan price and smaller additional line price (like Sprint's family plans).

Moving to Verizon is never a cost-saving measure. Lol. They're a premium network and you pay for that all around.

mostlynameless

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Since everyone will share one pool of data, I wouldn't put anybody on my plan that I didn't love more than I love my data. And there aren't too many folks in that group.

Remember, if they eat it all up either you get less or you pay for more.

sk1wbw

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I've only had me and my wife on a plan for years now, so I didn't know what carriers charge for extra lines.

I'll check that link out. Thanks.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I've only had me and my wife on a plan for years now, so I didn't know what carriers charge for extra lines.

Cool. Once you get it straightened out, could you let us know the numbers you came up with, to help everyone out? (And then mark thread as "Resolved"?)

Thanks,
Will

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas

If you go to the store they will have more answers than their website. If you get a salesperson that knows more. I find they will have more answers than the sites. And you might come out cheaper. Also ask your friends and co-workers who are on Verizon. If you work for the govt, there is some discounts. I recently did an event at a school and noticed a lot of teachers using iPhones. I asked them what they like and didn't. Most of them are on iPhones cause it was cheaper (govt. discount) and two the wi-fi access was better than using school phones. They were all on Verizon too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.