Family plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrgreen4242, Nov 17, 2007.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Couple of dumb questions that I couldn't find an easy answer to on ATTs site...

If I got an iPhone, could I add a non-iPhone line to plan to share the minutes? If so, how much? Also, is there a discount for multiple iPhones on the same account?

Thanks. :)

2. '73-B macrumors regular

If you have a family talk plan you can have iPhones along with regular phones on the same plan and share the minutes, but as far as I know it has to be a family talk plan. There are no discounts for multiple iPhones on the same account (wish there were because we have 3 on our plan), in fact there are no discounts at all with an iPhone. I had a discount from my employer but could not continue to use it when I added my iPhone.

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

As one addition to the above, additional iPhones on a family plan are $30, i.e. the $10/extra line fee plus the $20 data plan fee. A normal non-iPhone is $10 to add to a family plan.

FYI, there's also an unadvertised 550 minute family plan that you can get if you ask. That's what I'm on along with a second iPhone and a regular phone.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

So if you had just two phones on a family plan, it's the plans base cost plus $20 for the data plan? Does the data plan add the "other" things included with the regular iPhone plan, liek visual voicemail and the text messages, etc?

Thanks for the help!

5. '73-B macrumors regular

That is correct. The $20 for the iPhone data plan includes 200 text messages per month and unlimited data (not a bad deal in my opinion). The iPhone uses the data part of the plan for visual voice mail and internet access.

6. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I have a question about the family plans too.

On ATT's site, it has the price for 2 iPhone's on a plan, or 1 individual. If I want an iPhone and my fiancee wants a regular phone, what are the prices for the 900 and 1400 minute plans?

7. rayward macrumors 65816

If you don't alreeady have an iPhone/AT&T contract, the best way to go is to sign up for a "regular" account and select the calling plan you want. Then go and get your iPhone and they will simply add the $20 data plan fee to your existing account. You'll get a couple of free phones to boot, which you can use, give as Chrimbo gifts or sell on ebay.

8. meagain macrumors 68030

How do you figure that? The plan states 1 iPhone with 450 minutes is $60 and to get on a family plan, the 2nd iPhone is another $50 (or $55 each for 2 iPhones). Am I reading it wrong?

9. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Actually, the plan states it's $30 more, which makes total sense because like I said, it's the same as adding any random phone to the family plan ($10) plus the iPhone data plan ($20). I actually have this, by the way, along with a third phone for another $10.

The piece you're missing is that family plans cost more than individual plans for the base price, which is why the benefits of the family plan get better as you add more phones. You can, for instance, upgrade one phone to unlimited text messages for $20, but you can upgrade up to 5 phones on a family plan for only $30. Go figure.

EDIT: To even further clarify, as I said originally, $30 is for *additional* iPhones on a family plan, i.e. if you are adding an iPhone to an existing family plan. It's on the Apple iPhone rate plan page, and I'm sure is on the AT&T site too: http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html

10. meagain macrumors 68030

Well, for me, it sucks. My husband has the $60 plan. I just want to get on the plan with my iphone and that will be an extra $50. I just want data and to make about 4-5 calls max a month. This is why I've yet to activate my phone.

11. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

You should look into the 550 minute plan. It's cheaper than $50 more (that's for the 700 minute family plan vs. 450 minute individual plan), and you'll get 100 minutes extra if he's on a 450, which will more than meet your needs for a few calls a month. I split a 550 minute plan with two family members, one of whom is very light on call usage.

EDIT: OK, I'm not 100% positive, but I think the 550 minute family plan with a non-iPhone and an iPhone will run you $80, based on our bill. We pay $110 for 3 lines (two iPhones, one non), so it's $100 for two iPhones, so it should be $20 less for one iPhone/one regular, therefore my guess of $80. So that'd save you $30 a month, and your iPhone would only be $20/month more than his current plan, which is like paying for data only and getting 100 minutes/month free.

EDIT 2: And here's a link to the plan details on AT&T's website. They don't advertise this plan with the iPhone information, but you can have iPhones on it anyway. You may need to enter your zipcode first when following this link. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...s/?q_sku=sku1040159&q_planCategory=cat1370013

12. meagain macrumors 68030

Thx. I see that 550 plan. Saves $10. So $40 a month for me. Better than a poke in the eye. I still wish there were more options like buy data for the $20 then do a pay as you go and actually PAY per phone call. grrr (Sorry OP if I hijacked your thread).

13. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I gather from this that your husband must also have an iPhone. I thought you meant he had a regular phone to which you were adding your iPhone, which would be $80 vs. the $100 for two iPhones on a plan together. So you're right, it'll only save $10, though that still adds up over a couple years. If you haven't already, it might be worth a call to AT&T to find out if there's any option for an unadvertised family plan with fewer minutes.

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is if you have any other family members you'd be willing to split a bill with. In my experience with AT&T, the only requirement they have is that all the *numbers* on a family plan be in the same marketing region. I live in Boston and share a plan with family in Arizona. They just have Boston numbers since I started the plan. But now that everyone has free long distance, it makes no difference to them anyway.

Hope this has all been somewhat helpful. And my apologies to the OP too for the hijacking.