Family Portrait - Green Screen Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nyzwerewolf, Oct 27, 2009.

1. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

hello guys,

we've came up with an idea for our church for fundraising. the fundraising is for helping, feeding & clothing the poor in Asia.

The fundraising idea is to take family portrait for every family in our church at a specific price rate. We just don't know if we should go with Green Screen or Real Backgrounds. Can you guys give me your input?

If we should go Green Screen, where can I get some real nice high resolution backgrounds that can be used for family portraits?

Thanks a lot!
    Lowell

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

hmm for portraits, I would go with a real background.
    If its for your church you can always use a white wall, or something else as a blurred out background. Use props if you want them.
    If the families want to , they cold have for example a nice blurred out cross in the background, making it a "religious" theme fo the portrait.

You know what i mean...

But green screen in this case I wouldn't do. It is also a lot of work to make sure the background looks nice and matches the lighting etc. etc.

just my 2c

//F

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My recommendation would be to go with a backdrop other that green screen. If you don't get the background just right in PhotoShop they can look hokey. Out of proportion to the inserted background, perspective not matching and that sort of stuff. A camera shop can help you with this. They would stock nice background papers. You might be able to rent what you need. Google "camera rental" or some such term. Good luck.

Dale

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

Another vote for real background. Greenscreen can create a lot of post time to make things look right. People may also try to get you to provide a variety of backdrops with the green screen, each one would require work. For family portraits, a nice non-distinct backdrop never looked terrible. If the budget for the project is incredibly low, shooting them against a clean white wall should produce a reasonable result as well.

Good luck.

5. maxieme, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011

maxieme macrumors newbie

For the background.. Hmmm I’ll go for real one, because it will add life and beauty as people seen this. Yeah, just like flosseR said, you can add some props to enhance its attractiveness.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

avoid greenscreen background at all costs, unless you want the subjects to have a green color cast on their edges, as well as looking incredibly superimposed.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

A green screen will require processing every single image to make it look "right" no matter what. A background will require less processing, basically ensuring that you're not making lots of people wait a long time for their images.

That alone should be enough reason to do a real background.

Paul

8. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Smells like spam to me... this thread is over a year old.