Family Share: Can you select which apps to share/not share?

thisdj78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
If this was already asked, I apologize, I tried to search for a similar question:

Is there a way to select which apps to share or not share with IDs on the family list?

tigglepig

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
UK
I do think they have missed a trick as it would be good if you could limit what apps are shared from your main account. Ok, so kids can't purchase anything without it getting approval from you but there could be apps that you have that you don't want them to install.

I would hope that it does check the age rating (so if it has a rating of say 17+) then it shouldn't show as available to a 14 year old - although it's not something I have tested yet. Maybe someone else has already looked in to this and could confirm how it works?

Sky737

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014

andrewmaj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Is there a setting I'm missing? New apps my kids ask to purchase is working fine. Any app that has already been purchased, they can download it with no approval. Any way to change that?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Is there a setting I'm missing? New apps my kids ask to purchase is working fine. Any app that has already been purchased, they can download it with no approval. Any way to change that?

I had the same issue. There are definitely some purchases that my wife and I have made that my kids shouldn't have, but the way it works right now they can download anything that has already been purchased without needing permission. This is a deal breaker for me.

I did speak with apple support about this and he suggested hiding the purchases that the kids shouldn't have access to, but that's say more effort than its worth.

andrewmaj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I had the same issue. There are definitely some purchases that my wife and I have made that my kids shouldn't have, but the way it works right now they can download anything that has already been purchased without needing permission. This is a deal breaker for me.

I did speak with apple support about this and he suggested hiding the purchases that the kids shouldn't have access to, but that's say more effort than its worth.
Thats unfortunate. maybe in the future they will add this as a setting, (approve all downloads)

thisdj78

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Columbus, OH

If hiding purchased works, that's good enough for me. There's only a few apps I have like that.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If hiding purchased works, that's good enough for me. There's only a few apps I have like that.

If you try that, let us know if it works. I still wonder if it will ask permission even if the app is hidden. The guy from Apple suggested this, but he didn't sound super confident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.