Family Share: Can you select which apps to share/not share?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by thisdj78, Sep 25, 2014.

1. thisdj78 macrumors 6502

If this was already asked, I apologize, I tried to search for a similar question:

Is there a way to select which apps to share or not share with IDs on the family list?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can limit which apps younger members (kids) can purchase since their requests are funneled thru the primary account holder.

4. tigglepig macrumors newbie

I do think they have missed a trick as it would be good if you could limit what apps are shared from your main account. Ok, so kids can't purchase anything without it getting approval from you but there could be apps that you have that you don't want them to install.

I would hope that it does check the age rating (so if it has a rating of say 17+) then it shouldn't show as available to a 14 year old - although it's not something I have tested yet. Maybe someone else has already looked in to this and could confirm how it works?

5. Sky737 macrumors newbie

You can prevent individual apps from being visible by hiding them, according to this article - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4919

Here's more information regarding the Ask to Buy feature - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201089

Hope it helps!

:cool:

6. andrewmaj macrumors regular

Is there a setting I'm missing? New apps my kids ask to purchase is working fine. Any app that has already been purchased, they can download it with no approval. Any way to change that?

7. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I had the same issue. There are definitely some purchases that my wife and I have made that my kids shouldn't have, but the way it works right now they can download anything that has already been purchased without needing permission. This is a deal breaker for me.

I did speak with apple support about this and he suggested hiding the purchases that the kids shouldn't have access to, but that's say more effort than its worth.

8. andrewmaj macrumors regular

Thats unfortunate. maybe in the future they will add this as a setting, (approve all downloads)

9. thisdj78 thread starter macrumors 6502

If hiding purchased works, that's good enough for me. There's only a few apps I have like that.

10. BrettDS macrumors 65816

If you try that, let us know if it works. I still wonder if it will ask permission even if the app is hidden. The guy from Apple suggested this, but he didn't sound super confident.

11. tigglepig macrumors newbie

I didn't know you could do that, thanks for the link - it'll certainly allow me to hide some of the crud that has built up over the years :)

It certainly does, Thank you!