Family + Sharing a house or Apartment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by toolbox, Sep 11, 2009.

1. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Hi all

I just to hear how you guys / gals deal with family members that you live with outside of home. How do you get on with the cooking do you have a set night that someone cooks? Do you take it in turns in doing dishes, cleaning showers, toilets etc?

At the moment my brother whom is a year younger then me is living in my house. He pays 100 a week board plus what ever bills and food.

At the moment i am one the one doing the cooking, cleaning, taking care of my house. He quiet frankly couldn't give a stuff. By this i mean, there are dishes in the sink he walks past them, there are dishes waiting to be put away he walks past them, bin needs emptying it just gets piled up till it over flows, Ants are found, there sprayed but not cleaned up.

When i say something i get told to "f off" or "f up" - Last night he was eating KFC whilst typing on a Macbook Unibody which i bought him and he has NOT payed for yet. Usual responce F up, i took i off him, he goes to my parents gets there laptop.

How does everyone here deal with that?

end rant

2. ddiogyn macrumors member

Just how old is he?

You need to talk with him and agree, together, on a set of house rules, including dividing the household responsibilities, such as drawing up a washing/cleaning/laundry/etc rota.

As for the Macbook - does he currently have the funds to pay you in total? If not you should agree a payment schedule with him. If he isn't agreeable, then confiscate it. Same with the house - if he doesn't want to share responsibility, threaten him with eviction, or bill him separately for the housekeeping you currently do.

3. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

He is 20, and yes i know for a fact he has the money. If he can afford to spend 2000 dollars on his car then he has the money. i tried the payment schedule never happened

it's also simple things like communication, he never tells me where he is going i just hear the door slam shut and the car start, his mates just come around. A simple hey i am having some people over is that cool. Yep sure it is

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh I'd throw him out.
    If you need the $100/week get someone else in…

No need to put up with that kind of behavior from anyone.

Only a year younger than you?

5. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes he is a year younger then me, i am 22 he turns 21 in november

Trust me i have thought about booting him out and after last night telling me to F up after to telling him not to eat around the computer and to pick up the beer bottles on the lounge room floor, i think it will be sooner rather then later

6. ddiogyn macrumors member

You obviously care about him to let him move in with you, buy a laptop for him, and put up with his poor attitude and behaviour. For the sake of your relationship, give him a final warning and opportunity for him to rectify the situation before kicking him out.

7. toolbox thread starter macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes of course i care where he lives, because if he moves out of here he will get involved with the wrong people.

I didn't want to have to come to this, but i have disconnected the internet from his part of the house until chores are done this morning. - Dad keeps telling me to do but i never had the guts too See how it goes this morning i guess