Family Sharing and Autmatic App Downloads

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Pivoh, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Pivoh, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Pivoh macrumors member

I really enjoyed sharing an Apple ID across our i Devices with my better half :)

However, we were wondering what are the differences between family sharing or sharing the same ID?

Especially if we do family sharing:

- Would a purchased Apps still automatically download on all devices ?
    - Is there still a common photo stream that automatically uploads and shares photos between the two devices.

thanks in advance for any help :)

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd like to know how to limit access to certain stuff. I've got some <10-year-old nephews who I would like to be able to access some stuff I've bought, like the classic TMNT cartoons. But I don't exactly want them watching American Pie or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I would do this through my sister's iPad, so I'm guessing she would have to turn on restrictions.

Anybody used this or figured this out yet?

3. Pivoh thread starter macrumors member

I believe you can set restrictions for some users to only see age appropriate content. There is a section you can specify each users age, I assume inappropriate content will automatically be restricted and not visible to younger children.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

1) Only devices on that same Apple ID will if the option is set. Your families purchases on their Apple ID will not download to yours.

2) Nope. Nothing automatic for this.

5. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is not clear how family sharing is really any different than simply sharing the same iTunes/app store account across each family member's devices (which I already do now). What's the point of separate iTunes/app store IDs, if family sharing is enabled? What benefit is there to sharing one credit card for purchases, but each person uses different IDs? Why not just share the same ID then? I'm not sure I understand the point of Family Sharing, since we can already do most of it anyway.

6. aham23 macrumors regular

well it appears it will be a bit more efficient.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

instead of, "hey dad can i download MineCraft 20.0" she wont have to talk to me, just let the request come through......

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

You can all use your own accounts. The data won't automatically sync and you can share specific things like Reminders, Photo albums, Calendar events. And you have your own specific passwords so that family members can't hack into your iCloud or download things from your phone, without your password for your account.

8. caesarp macrumors 6502a

We use different (personal) icloud accounts. We only share the iTunes account across devices.

9. mantan macrumors 68000

I agree - it seems to muddy things up a bit.

Currently everyone in the family has different Apple ID's for iCloud/imessage. We share the same iTunes ID for purchases. We all tend to like different apps, music, videos - so all going back to a single ID for sharing content (while having different ID's for other things) doesn't seem to add any value. The permission functionality is nice....but my kids have always asked before they made a purchase anyway.

Sharing pictures was already easy with AirDrop....so having an app to share pics automatically seems redundant.

Maybe I'm missing something here - but as long as we can keep using a single iTunes ID for purchases - I don't see a point in the Family Share functionality...

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Sharing the same iTunes account? You plan on sharing it forever? What happens when your kid moves out and has their own device and their own interests? They just going to use your account until they die? Having the ability to use unique IDs for purchases is how it should have been since day one.

Another huge benefit is the ability for kids under 13 to have an ID. Prior to this, it was not permitted.

11. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Once he's older he can get his own itunes account. I guess for young kids, family sharing doesn't add much.

12. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

No family to share with so for me a worthless feature. But of course for those with families it's another story.

13. mantan macrumors 68000

As someone else said, they are going to own account. I'm not letting them hang on my iTunes account for life. They can start buying their own stuff.

14. curtoise macrumors 6502a

One of the big issues for me is no sharing o iTunes Match, each member of my family will have to subscribe to an individual $25 iTunes Match service.

I wish iTunes Match for families was offered or some workaround.

15. sammyman macrumors 6502a

What about shared contacts? We use 1 iCloud account so all our contacts are synced.