Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckavanas

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I was experiencing the same issue as all of you family sharing owners:

You set yourself up as the owner on family sharing, Added your family members, and On a family member's phone, Apple Music was asking the family member to do the 9.99 single plan or the 14.99 family plan, when clearly this family member is set up as a member on your family sharing, why is it asking me this? etc.

SOLUTION:

On the family member phone, Music app > top left corner click on the head (profile) > sign out on the bottom. Sign that family member back in with THEIR APPLE ID (NOT YOURS!), and after that, the family member should then be able to use Apple Music as a family member on your 14.99 family plan.

NOTE: For me, On one family member phone, it asked me if I wanted to enable iCloud Music Library after sign out and sign back in, and on another family member's phone other it just went back to the normal music screen, but the top right had the magnifying glass and was able to search for and play an artist that was not on that family member's phone (pick an artist/song you know the family member does not have and see if you can play it as a test).

Hope this helps!

supermanfan

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
I was experiencing the same issue as all of you family sharing owners:

You set yourself up as the owner on family sharing, Added your family members, and On a family member's phone, Apple Music was asking the family member to do the 9.99 single plan or the 14.99 family plan, when clearly this family member is set up as a member on your family sharing, why is it asking me this? etc.

SOLUTION:

On the family member phone, Music app > top left corner click on the head (profile) > sign out on the bottom. Sign that family member back in with THEIR APPLE ID (NOT YOURS!), and after that, the family member should then be able to use Apple Music as a family member on your 14.99 family plan.

NOTE: For me, On one family member phone, it asked me if I wanted to enable iCloud Music Library after sign out and sign back in, and on another family member's phone other it just went back to the normal music screen, but the top right had the magnifying glass and was able to search for and play an artist that was not on that family member's phone (pick an artist/song you know the family member does not have and see if you can play it as a test).

Hope this helps!

Confused by these instructions. On the family member's phone, they were already signed in with their Apple ID and not mine (the family organizer). I've logged them out and back in, no joy.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
S
. On the family member's phone, they were already signed in with their Apple ID and not mine (the family organizer). I've logged them out and back in, no joy.

I'm afraid i'm in the same position. My wife's been signed with her own apple ID. In the iCloud settings, it shows as shared. But in Apple music, I'm asked to pay when I go into the "for you" section. I've loggered her out and in but no change.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
Well, it's now working. I wish I could tell you what I did. It was some combination of sighing her in and out of Icloud in the music app, forced restarts of her music app, and refreshing the "set up family" section on MY phone's music app. But honestly, everything looked set up correctly from the start. Frustrating, but it's working

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Works for me also. Only thing I was charged $14.95 instantly, and didn't get 3 months trial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.