Family Sharing - Change Birthdate?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HyperliteG4, Sep 15, 2014.

1. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Like many others, I created my kids their own AppleID a long time ago using my birthdate so that they could have iCloud accounts for backing up their devices and not using up my storage.

But now that iOS8 is GM (yes I am a developer), I loaded it up on their devices hoping to use the family sharing and "ask to buy" feature, however I can't seem to be able to change their birthdate to an age younger than 13 (they are 7 and 10). Has anyone been able to get this changed successfully?

Also, I haven't been able to get the "Ask to buy" feature working yet either. It keeps asking for a credit card on their devices despite showing in my "organizer" account the proper CC that should be used for everyone on the account.

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Throughout the beta period there was a note in the release notes that you were still unable to create an account for anyone under 14. It looks like that's still the case now and I'm assuming they'll allow such accounts to be created when iOS 8 is officially released on Wednesday.

As far as the Ask to Buy feature, it's my understanding that it only works with accounts for those 13 and under, and since you can't create an account for someone under 14 then Ask to Buy won't work yet either.

3. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Makes sense... a few more days and we'll see!

4. HyperliteG4 thread starter macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

Well, still unable to change the birthdate to an age younger than 13 on either the device or http://appleid.apple.com. I'll probably have to give Apple a call...