Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macca1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Ok so I have set up family sharing and created a child ID for my son.

I have entered credit card info to verify I am an adult .

Am I now able to remove this card and enter a debit card as I do not use the credit card and don't want anything to go through on it at all or would this cause problems with child account buying apps ? I usually only use gift cards for iTunes payments.

Also is it possible to add a gift card to his child iCloud account (this was set up under family sharing)

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Yes you can go to ITunes on your iPad, scroll down to your iCloud ID at bottom and change payment to whatever you prefer.

As far as your gift card for child, you must install the gift card on the child's Apple device as gift cards under your ICloud ID will only apply to you. Put the child's gift card under child's iCloud on his/her device. Put yours on your device under your ICloud ID.

Reactions: ZombiePete

macca1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Yes you can go to ITunes on your iPad, scroll down to your iCloud ID at bottom and change payment to whatever you prefer.

As far as your gift card for child, you must install the gift card on the child's Apple device as gift cards under your ICloud ID will only apply to you. Put the child's gift card under child's iCloud on his/her device. Put yours on your device under your ICloud ID.
Thanks for this so the credit card is only really for setup purposes for child account .

Thanks for your help

Reactions: PattyMc

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Considering gift cards can be frequently be bought at 20% off or more, you should always use them. I haven't removed my CC but purchases are always billed to gift balance first. I sure as heck wouldn't use a debit card though (itunes or anywhere else).

Reactions: mrex and macca1980

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Gift cards are used first but if you are using family sharing and/or child account, even though you are the "organizer"(person responsible), the gift cards must be placed on each individual device/iCloud ID.

Found this out the hard way setting up child account and family sharing! Their purchases went to my credit card listed even though I had gift card on my account, only purchases "I" made came off of gift card on my account.

I figured out that this is really a good thing and makes sense, no one would want someone else in the family plan using up "their" gift card balance.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Family sharing is a pain in the butt. I wish they would add toggles to each member so you could turn the card off.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I like it now that I've figured it out but man it took me a long time to finally understand how it all worked!

Be glad to help if you have a specific question about it. Not sure I understand about turning member off card.

Reactions: macca1980

macca1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Considering gift cards can be frequently be bought at 20% off or more, you should always use them. I haven't removed my CC but purchases are always billed to gift balance first. I sure as heck wouldn't use a debit card though (itunes or anywhere else).

What's wrong with using a debit card on iTunes?

macca1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2013
Also if I add my wife to the family sharing does that mean any purchases made would automatically be deducted from the card on my account?

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, but she can add a gift card to her iCloud ID and have her purchases take from that first.
Or if you want to pay for hers on your card then you can do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.