Family Sharing - Different CCs?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KUguardgrl13, Sep 18, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Basically I'm thinking about setting up Family Sharing for my boyfriend and I whenever he updates to iOS 8. We have separate Apple IDs for iCloud but share my iTunes account for music. So can we set up Family Sharing but still keep our separate credit cards? I'd like to share music and apps that we both want, but I don't want one of us (probably me since I'm the Apple nerd) to have to pay for all the apps and music. It's not like he's my child and can't pay for his own stuff if he wants it. Plus there's the very unlikely possibility of a break up (been together 4 1/2 years, so he's probably not going anywhere) where sharing a CC could get complicated.

If this isn't possible we'll probably just keep sharing my iTunes account since that's all we really need to share, but it'd be nice if we could use Family Sharing to make things smoother.

2. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

If he's using your iTunes account now then you're currently paying for all the purchases, correct?
    With Family Sharing it wouldn't be any different. Also, if you ever wanted him off, you as the "Organizer" can remove him.

3. mreddys10 macrumors regular

As far as I can understand it, only the organiser's credit card is used to make all the purchases. So, no, you can't use 2 different cards to pay for the purchases.

4. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I buy the music, yes. But he uses his Apple ID to buy his own apps. Somehow it works that way now.

----------

Dang. Guess it won't work for us.

5. Puonti macrumors 6502a

Where you're from, could one of you apply for a second CC that would only be used for Family Sharing but both would make monthly payments to?

6. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

We're in our 20s with no credit and hourly jobs. U.S. When I say CC I mean Visa debit card, really. It's just easier to say CC.

7. Puonti macrumors 6502a

The idea could still work, substituting a CC with a second debit card (and a shared bank account tied to it). Apart from the technical side, it really depends on how alike the two of you are with money. If both are responsible, it can work.