Family Sharing does... Nada

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MisterPunchy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. MisterPunchy macrumors regular

Set it up with me as organizer, my wife as a parent, and our 3 kids as members. The info and pictures on Apples instructional/info site show that in iTunes and App stores, the kids should all be able to click "purchased" and find a list of other family members to click on, and download apps, music, books, etc... Within the family. But there's nothing. No list of family members. No way to share any content, music, apps, books, anything.
    So, what the F is the purpose if this? It does precisely nothing. Nice waste of programming, apple.

2. jonathan1683 macrumors member

can they at least request an app purchase? Mine is not even allowing that it keeps asking for my credit card number.

3. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

It took a couple hours for the info to sync up and then it worked fine.

4. hasanahmad Suspended

The developer has to enable family sharing. once a developer enables it, it shows up

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Also having this problem. When I go to purchased in the App Store on my iPad it says "To start sharing purchases, finish setting up family sharing in iCloud."
    And the word iCloud is a link into the family sharing part of the settings app. I have finished setting it up... Hours ago... So I guess now it's just a waiting game.

6. hasanahmad Suspended

A developer has to support iOS 8 for its app and enable Family Sharing

7. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

Yes, a number of us in a different thread were discussing this... Took each of us a couple hours for the info to sync. From the purchased tab, on the top left you will see a link that says My Purchases... Click this link and it will show a pop up list of each persons purchased history. Additionally, you can just do a normal search, and all peoples purchased items no longer have price, just the cloud download icon.

8. MisterPunchy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. None of this is working as yet, but I'll check in the morning. Perhaps the servers are just swamped. Glad to hear that some of you are finding success after some time! Appreciate the feedback.

9. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm well aware. But I still don't even have the option to view my wife's purchases anywhere.

10. robb471 macrumors newbie

App Updates

Tried setting up Family Share this morning. From the looks of it, at least right away, you have to grant permission for each app to update on the child device? If thats the case, I will be turning off Family Share real quick...

11. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Just curious, Is your wife's device running iOS 8 ?

12. hasanahmad Suspended

I think you will only view the purchases of the apps which support iOS8 family sharing.

13. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Beginning to think Family Sharing is going to be largely useless. Some apps aren't eligible. Others are, but only after a certain date. Right now I use my ID on my kids iPods so they can play games I've bought on the devices I bought. The kids are 6 and 9. I hoped to enable family sharing as it seemed like a more efficient way of managing purchases, but if I do, they will lose most of their games since I bought the majority before Jun 2014 (the date most developers are settling on).

No point in turning it on. Shame!

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yep.

15. Fabricman112, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112