Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone and iPad users who share apps with their families through Apple's Family Sharing feature can now share subscription apps as well.

share-new-subscriptions-family-sharing.jpg

In the App Store settings under "Subscriptions," there's a "Share New Subscriptions" setting that appears to be enabled automatically, allowing subscription apps to be shared among family members. The new option is available on the current release version of iOS, iOS 14.2.

Apple announced subscription sharing options as part of iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and macOS Big Sur. Developers are able to decide whether subscriptions should be available to members of a Family Sharing group. Some apps have been implementing the feature, as noted by Ryan Jones on Twitter.

Prior to today, if one member of a family purchased an app that included a subscription benefit, there was no built-in way for those subscription features to be shared with other family members.

Article Link: Family Sharing for App Store Subscriptions Now Available

Last edited:
Reactions: chris4565 and ikir

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
interesting, so does this mean I could share my 1password subscription with my wife, and she could have her own account as long as the developer supports it?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
When Apple say "Share New Subscriptions", does it mean only "new" subscriptions that the developer approved can be shared with my family?

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Does anyone know what happens if two users previously had the same subscription? Both my wife and I have CARROT Weather Tier 2, but would love to consolidate to a single charge.

Reactions: rezzo

nerdherdster

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2019
Good to see it's happening for subscriptions, but what about family sharing for in-app purchases? Family sharing for in-app purchases and subscriptions were announced at the same time but since the announcement I haven't been able to find any info about either one.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Good to see it's happening for subscriptions, but what about family sharing for in-app purchases? Family sharing for in-app purchases and subscriptions were announced at the same time but since the announcement I haven't been able to find any info about either one.

IAP is the big one for me, given that lots of apps seem to use IAP as a demo mode (rather than just to cynically do an end run around family sharing).

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Unable to share subscriptions has kept me from creating Apple IDs for my kids to use their iPads. I would love to be able to do this going forward, but need more info about exactly how this works.

You might not be understanding this new functionality. How many in-app third party subscriptions (not regular purchases) do you subscribe to today?

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
Because, as it says in the article: "Developers are able to decide whether subscriptions should be available to members of a Family Sharing group"

I just wonder how many developers will intentionally block this, to squeeze out more money from subscriptions.
My guess is that developers will create new subscription tiers for family purchases at a slightly higher rate. Much like Apple Music is $9.99 for individuals and $14.99 for families.

mcdawg

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2015
IAP is the big one for me, given that lots of apps seem to use IAP as a demo mode (rather than just to cynically do an end run around family sharing).

Oh man, I did not know that IAP doesn't work on family sharing.

I just set up (or am trying to set up... that's another looooong story) Family Sharing, in advance of getting my boys Apple Watches (with cellular, they like phones in all the good communication, calendaring ways, but in none of the brain-melting, soul-corrupting bad ways) for Christmas. And I'm obviously not going to be getting them phones anytime soon, so maybe this doesn't matter too much... but I didn't know this.

And it's a bummer.

But, if it does become an issue, at some point down the line, like with Apple TV or Mac apps for which they might be signed in under their own ID rather than mine... it will almost certainly stop me from purchasing anything as an IAP.
Just so you know, developers. ?

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Let’s hope in-app purchases are also included now, as there’s no mechanism to currently see previously purchased IAP (?), unlike subscriptions.

Apple lists both IAP and subscriptions on their iOS 14 page, with the feature still marked as coming this year:

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
My guess is that developers will create new subscription tiers for family purchases at a slightly higher rate. Much like Apple Music is $9.99 for individuals and $14.99 for families.
There is no point in them doing that. I already share every subscription I need to share with my family very easily. I'm not going to pay higher rates just to use the "official" way of sharing.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Let’s hope in-app purchases are also included now, as there’s no mechanism to currently see previously purchased IAP (?), unlike subscriptions.
I'm not sure how in-app purchases actually apply. If someone buys a loot crate in a game and spends it, the rest of the family isn't getting that. It would have to be a very specific kind of in-app purchase like the permanent ones (removing ads for example).

AgentOSX

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2017
Hollywood
Great... but now I would like to have an Apple credit balance to be the default payment method for everyone in the family. Right now, I can use my credit balance and the rest of the family gets charged to my credit card.

Reactions: BiscoDino and mhnd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.