Family sharing for music is confusing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by co1f, Oct 14, 2014.

1. co1f macrumors regular

Me, my wife and son are on family sharing (each with our separate Apple ID's).

If I go to a song on my iphone iTunes app, that my son has bot already while on family sharing (I was billed), I would expect that song to show the "cloud downloadable" icon. But it doesn't. It shows the price of the song. If I click the price, it asks if I want to buy it.

Fact is, I've already been charged for it, because my son bot it. So why am I being asked to buy it again. I guess I should just click it and see, but it's very non-intuitive.

I've searched everywhere, and I can't believe no news sources even cover this aspect. All anyone talks about is to go to the Purchased tab. That's fine, but what if my son is "lazy" and doesn't want to go searching my purchases before buying a song??

Thanks for any insight.

2. JacksTLOS macrumors member

No don't click on it and click buy!

You'll only end up buying the song again. For music you have to go through the more option in itunes (on the phone) and click on purchased. Then go through your sons account looking for the music you would like also. It'd be nice if they had the cloud button for purchased music also but unfortunately right now it doesn't work that way.

3. jmantn macrumors 6502

I believe this has to do with the numerous agreements and most likely loopholes to said agreements apple has with the music industry. I base this opinion based solely on how ringtones are managed and the numerous articles that's been written on this in the past.

With ringtones, for at least the last two years which is prior to family sharing, if you purchased a ringtone on your iPhone and try to download it on your iPad YOU would be charged again. To my knowledge the ONLY way around this is with iTunes on a computer and sync the ringtone to your computer then sync to your other devices. Songs were once upon a time handled in the same fashion.

Fast forward a few years and now u can at least re download from the purchased tab for songs but I don't think you can for ringtones still.

So to me this has to do with contracts and licensing and apple at least had either worked out an agreement or a loop hole to a contract when they introduced the purchased tab.

Keep in mind just a few years ago the record labels who pushed for songs to be priced above 99¢ said they regretted it as it hurt their sales, was quite a few big name sites that reported on this and I mention it specifically to show the music industry is still one of the most difficult industries to work with and why I believe the current method is the result of deals made with them and not due to apple overlooking anything.

Keep in mind Apple wants you to buy from them and actually wants happy customers that will repeatedly come back and this isn't their preferred method as it is a pain point for them regarding their online stores.

My two cents.

4. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I'm disappointed that you have to download. I was hoping to just be able to stream when desired. :(

5. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for replies...

I'm surprised there's not more people upset about this. I'm sure we don't buy as many songs as many others, but the current state makes it too unwieldy an effort just to save a dollar. Still a step in the right direction I guess.

6. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

Family sharing is hokey

I agree it's weird.

I still can't figure out how to get a family calendar. I was excited about that.

Totally agree the music should show a cloud if already purchased.

7. datanode macrumors newbie

I for one am very frustrated as family sharing seems very limited in its current form. As per usual I expected more and got a whole lot less.

I brought my daughter an iPad mini for her to use. Previously she would have to use the only handheld devices I had such as phone or ATV.

Show all content for music / video doesn't show purchases from family members, I really hope that changes as I would rather stream content to her iPad rather than store it on there.

Going forwards I will be making all her film / music purchases on the device, but what about the content that I have purchased :-(

Also having to enter a password to install anything when it could all be tied to a request from a parent would be far more useable by younger children.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Family sharing for music is confusing

I bought an app, which my wife had ages ago, before we were married and linked.

I pressed buy, confirmed, then said it found someone in family had already bought, and gave to me for free.

Ive nit tested with music, but imagine similar. Their database just may not be set to fully mesh all purchases to give cloud icon properly. But do seem to have a check in the back end.

9. datanode macrumors newbie

Apps are seemingly fine and if the cloud icon isn't there it does cross reference it, as it does with music/video for that matter.

My issue is that buying items in itunes gives you streaming availability where space is limited.

So if you choose to "show all music/video" you can download from cloud or play it as streaming content.

With the new parent / child model, it is download or nothing :-( I just hope they can sort that out.

"Show all music / video" options could include family member items. Then it'd be a lot better! :)

Or you could have switch account in video section to see a list of videos in the cloud from other members.

But let's face it, a button to switch where the content comes from that wasn't highlighted as a button, arrow or an icon shows how rushed this feature seems to have been :-(

I just wish they had taken there time with this aspect. I have faith they will get it right eventually, just not sure how soon that will be ;)

10. afsnyder macrumors 65816

If you click buy, it'll say that a family member has already purchased the item and give you the choice of buying it anyway or canceling it. That should give you the hint to go to purchased.

11. cosminsel macrumors member

cosminsel

Family members that enable Calendar in iCloud settings should be able to see the shared calendar.

12. co1f thread starter macrumors regular

Does not work that way for Music (as stated previously above).

----------

Does not work that way for Music. (It should, but doesn't)
    Bummer

13. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

I believe I figured it out. I'm not syncing calendars in iCloud because I'm an Exchange user.