Family Sharing Help

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ndbucks, Sep 18, 2014.

1. ndbucks macrumors newbie

I set up family sharing about 12 hours ago. Still, none of us can see each other's purchases. I followed every instruction Apple gave and have searched forums to see if I could find a solution. A lot of people are saying it takes time, but over 12 hours? Is anyone having a similar problem, or did anyone find they had to do something not mentioned on Apple's instruction page? I do not have iCloud Drive activated. Is this the problem? Apple never said this had to be active for Family Sharing to work.

2. esf215 macrumors member

I ended up rebooting all my phones and ipads then turning share my purchases off and on on all the phones. I'm not sure if that actually fixed it or not, but once i did that i went to purchased in the app store. Clicked on their names and withinin a minute all their items popped up

3. ndbucks thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't even see a list of family names when I click on purchased in the App or iTunes store, let alone their previous purchases.

4. Danyx macrumors newbie

Danyx

I succesfully added my wife to "family sharing" and she can see and download all my apps .....BUT they have made a stupid rule . You cannot add a child under 13 in family sharing if you don't have a CREDIT CARD , it does not work with a debit card . I don't have a credit card , and i think it's a stupid thing for them to ask for that .

5. betman macrumors regular

Is it still possible to do things "the old way" in iOS8?

Namely to set up each family ipad/iphone to have its own Apple ID for stuff like iMessage but share the SAME Apple ID across all devices for iTunes/App Store?

6. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

It's still possible to do it the "old way". I am still using that process with no problems.

7. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I haven't set this up on all my devices yet, wife's phone, daughters phone etc., as I have a concern I have yet to find the answer for.

I understand family members can download apps and such that have already been downloaded. But what happens if they attempt a new purchase? Even if I attempt a new purchase on the app store\itunes store etc., I am prompted to enter my primary password. Will they need to do the same, or will I get the ask\authorize prompt on my phone even if they are not listed as a child? I can't imagine they will just be able to buy anything without entering a password or something.

Anyone have any info, or a link to this type of info?

Thanks

8. deviant macrumors 65816

I guess they'll just have to enter THEIR password to THEIR apple id, then apple sees that they're part of a "family" and just charge the organiser's card

9. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Will have to try out tonight once all devices are updated.

10. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Yes.

And frankly I don't get (and I'm really trying to decide) why I would switch to the new way... under the new Family Share system you can NOT share in-app purchases and *many* apps are now "free" but the real functionality is via in-app purchase so I would have no choice but to pay several times for my family using the new model. Under the old system I simply put my iTunes store ID into their iPhones/iPads (but still they use their own iCloud for other stuff) and they not only get my apps, they get my in-app purchases too! The downsides are of course I lose the cool ability for my kids to send a purchase request to my phone instead of them having to run up to me so I can manually enter my iTunes password to allow them a purchase but that has never been a big deal. Also in theory someday when my kids hit adulthood and I want them to be responsible for their own phones and purchases they will "lose" all the apps purchased on their phone when I switch them to their own iTunes account with their own credit card.

All in all I am still doubtful I will use family share. We also share calendars and contacts without much difficulty using some tricks of setting up multiple iCloud accounts on one device and turn on and off some of the features of each account.

11. deviant macrumors 65816

report back, please. i'm still waiting my iphone 6 to create family sharing because my iphone 4s will die being married to ios7 :)

12. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

they enter THEIR password and if an approved adult it charges YOUR credit card... if they are listed as a minor/child it will send an approval request to YOUR phone to deny/accept their purchase.

13. jclaydon macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, currently have it set up the same as you. My query, if I was to set up Family Sharing, can I still have a different account for iTunes purchases, as I currently use. i.e. I'd just have Family Share set up for the Family calendar, shared Photo stream etc.

14. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

That's a great point, I wonder the same because for me the #1 thing would be the shared photo stream... (we already do shared calendars and contacts by slaving each device to one primary iCloud account for calendars.)

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

What? Mine worked just fine for my debit card. It has to be a Visa, Mastercard Debit. etc Most debit cards have the functionality to run as credit.

I've had no issues at all with Family Sharing. Disappointed you cannot share in-app purchases but not the end of the world.

16. Danyx macrumors newbie

Danyx

I also have a Visa debit card , but no ...they want a credit card :mad:

Attached Files:

17. betman macrumors regular

Interesting. Is it possible to set up some sort of approval requests over other adults' purchases or just for minors?

And I take it there is no way around the payment card requirement like purchasing a load of prepaid iTunes cards?

18. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I set everything up last night and it finally kicked in this morning. Works great.

19. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I would love to know this too. My daughter is of age, but frankly, it's still my credit card. Hard to believe you would not be able to set this up for any age.

20. colearnek macrumors newbie

Some songs greyed out?

I set up family share last night. It's a little unwieldy but i am trying to be a team player.

Last night I couldn't see any music. Now I can see all of my families songs but some of them are greyed out and I keep getting a "this song cannot be downloaded at this time" error.

Does any one know why?

21. betman macrumors regular

Yeah, this is something they definitely need to change. Does the "organiser" at least get a notification after each and every purchase, even those made by adult family members?

22. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502a

AppleChic76

I would love to know how to do this. The only thing I want Family Share for is the shared calendar feature.

23. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Turn "Ask to Buy" on for anyone not an adult. When they go to download something the organizer will get a notice and can approve or reject the request. this goes for free apps, too.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201089

Also, I think there are still a few bugs left to work out. Some songs I bought won't download on my wife's new iPhone 6 and many apps don't show up for downloading (although she hasn't bought many I'm interested in).