Family Sharing in Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Puonti, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I was just looking into an application on the Mac App Store when I noticed "Family Sharing: Yes" in the "Information" box. I didn't realize Family Sharing was already enabled for applications bought through MAS.

Has anyone verified that Family Sharing -enabled Mac apps can indeed be bought once, installed by all family members?

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Home sharing worked (works) for MAS so it seems reasonable that Family Sharing will work too. Seems like the info you found pretty much confirms it for Family Sharing. Good news!

3. Puonti, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

Puonti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Isn't Home Sharing an iTunes feature, though? For video and music playback through your home network?

4. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

No, it works on MAS too. I purchased Mountain Lion on my Mac and then downloaded it and installed it on the wife's Mac by authorizing it with my iTunes account. I've done it in reverse with apps she bought on MAS too.

5. Puonti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah. I still think that's distinct from Home Sharing, because that to me sounds like an ordinary installation of software on two computers with one Apple ID. Maybe I just haven't read the documentation that defines it as part of Home Sharing.

In any case, I'd still love to hear from someone who's tried Family Sharing on the Mac App Store. Can't try it myself at this time.

6. wrobertdavis macrumors newbie

Its not working publicly yet. Apply clearly states on their website that IOS8 or Mac OS X Yosemite are required to use family sharing. I have two macbook pros and two iPhones (IOS8) and iPad (IOS8). One of the MacBooks has latest Yosemite beta on it. Family sharing does NOT work yet for me on either Mac. Maybe if I put Yosemite on the second Mac, it would but I am not willing to do that, as Yosemite still has issues to resolve.

Bob