Family Sharing Purchases?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sonicrobby, Sep 22, 2014.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

There are 5 grown adults, who want to do this sharing plan to share each others apps. Each have their own credit card, and can/will purchase their own apps with their own credit card.

Reading the Apple's detail on this family sharing, it just keeps bringing up that people will request to purchase apps from the organizer. It has no 'what ifs'. Can others use their own credit cards to make purchases? Can their own be set to default so they dont have to ask permission to buy stuff? Or does everything they buy have to be through the organizer?

If I go to "my purchases" in the app store and hid apps I dont want them downloading or seeing, does this guarantee that they wont see them?

2. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Correct. If you hide a purchase, others can't see it. You can just designate everyone as an parent/guardian and they won't need permission from the organizer as I understand it. Only users designated as children need permission

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

But they would still be using the organizers credit card correct? How can it be set up so that each individual is purchasing using each individual's credit cards?

4. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

Even if you designate other people as a parent they still use the organizers credit card.

Family Sharing is not designed so 5 grown adults can share apps. Thats not a family. Its not in Apple's or dev's best interest to allow sharing between adults not in the same family. It's just so your wife/husband/kids can share stuff inside the same household, have different Apple ID's, and not have to pay twice for the same apps.

5. sonicrobby, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well thats the thing, we dont want to pay twice and we are a family. My sister is 30 and lives in CA, my brother 21, my mom, and my dad living in South America. Each have their own lives, jobs, and credit cards, and we dont want to all buy apps that we can easily share with each other for free. I just want to figure out the purchasing. If family sharing is set up, can they still make purchases using their own card? Or does being a part of that sharing plan force you to use the organizers card?

And another question, will my dad be able to download my purchases even though he has a non-us apple ID account?

6. lemieuxfan67 macrumors member

Looking at the description of Family Sharing, it was meant use one credit card within the family for everyone's purchases....and to share them. This is taken directly from the Family Sharing page on www.apple.com:

"Up to six people in your family can share purchases from iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store without sharing accounts. Pay for family purchases with the same credit card and approve kids’ spending right from a parent’s device. Easily share photos, a family calendar, and more to help keep everyone connected."

For reference, the page is
    https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/family-sharing/

The MAJOR reason I believe Family Sharing was created was a way to share apps within a family and not have to give your child/spouse your iTunes password. The service was not meant for people who have separate finances, jobs, lives, etc.

7. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Thats the information I read earlier, yes, but it doesnt answer my question at all. :confused: This is why I came to the forums to ask.

Just because it says they CAN make purchases with the same card doesnt imply that they CANT make purchases with another card. So Im asking.

8. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502a

AppleChic76

I understand your point. I think there should still be an option for adults in the Family Share to be able to use their own credit card for purchases if they want to. I spent a great deal of time yesterday researching into whether this is possible and it doesn't seem like it.

9. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

That is a definite answer. Not the one Id like to hear, but my question has been answered.

Thanks all for your help.

10. ScubaCinci, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

The way to get around this is have all users use a gift card for their purchases.

I don't like the fact that all share the same photo stream.

11. Squeege1981 macrumors newbie

My partner and I are ok with this, we just switch the credit card back and forth for purchases. Yes a bit of a pain, but he buys more than me so I wanted all he had :)

My "beef" is that if I buy something, he as the organizer, gets an emailed receipt with the name of the purchase and I also get one as it was my AppStore purchase. I wish it would just email receipt to the email address link d to the account making the purchase. What good is a "hide" feature unless you are the organizer... They need to re-think this bit!!