family sharing question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by McDLT, Sep 10, 2014.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

currently, my wife and i have one apple id. that allows us shared calendars, a shared photo stream, both phones on find my iPhone, and shared apps and so on. is there some benefit to using family sharing instead of this method? thanks.

2. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

3. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

Your wife can have her own Apple account with her own email.

4. Since OS-6 macrumors newbie

Hopefully my experience can be helpful... I took ages to get my head around apple IDs and iTunes / App Store purchases.

My other half & I both have our own MYNAME@icloud.com Apple ID / email / account. Which we use for iMessage and email and syncing our own calendars and cloud stuff to our OWN Apple devices.

BUT, we both use the same one Apple ID for all our iTunes / App Store / iBook etc purchases. So we, for example, buy an app once and the two of use can use that app if we want. Ditto for books or music or TV show.

BUT, I haven't as yet got clear in my mind how this set up that we use differs from Family Sharing. It should be easy to understand I'm sure, but for some reason it's not !

5. LittleBob68 macrumors member

I have been doing the same thing with my family (using one ID for the app store). One advantage to using family sharing is that one of my kids can get an iTunes card and put it on their account and nobody else can use it.this has been a problem every birthday and Christmas for quite some time.