Family sharing question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sportsfanMAW, Jun 28, 2015.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't seem to find a specific answer.

Basically everyone in my family has their own Apple ID that are linked to different credit cards (each persons personal card). Is it possible for us to set up Family Sharing so we can get the benefits of a shared family calendar, shared photos, and shared apps but still have our purchases go to the specific credit card we choose?

I'm also asking because we'll want to get a family account for apple music to share but it appears that you have to use family sharing for that too.

Thanks!

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Yes to both but let me explain.
    You can setup a new calendar and share that with your family via the calendar app.
    You can setup a shared photo stream and share that with your family.
    You can not share apps if each of you have your own iTunes accounts outside of the family sharing option.
    You will need Family Sharing active and billing to a single credit card to receive the family pricing on Apple Music.
    Family Sharing will setup on your behalf a shared calendar, reminders folder, photo stream and give you the option to share your location with the family along with share applications and music once the service is on.

3. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks.

But I'm still a little unclear on the limits of family sharing. Let's say the only thing I'm really interested in sharing with the family is apple music, can I turn on family sharing and have that active on all 5 of our phones but at the same time be able to purchase apps (only for a single phone usage) through a different account and credit card? My family doesn't share apps much, but the music option would be a huge savings for us, however I don't want to have to pay the account holder (in this case my dad) each time I buy an app...

Does that make sense?

4. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

You don't need to ask your Dad each time you buy an app, if you still have credit on your account. Just buy gift cards and you'll be happy.

As long as your account has money on it, the credit card will never be charged.