Family Sharing questions

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gorkt, Jun 10, 2015.

1. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

For various reasons, my, my husband, my almost 13 year old daughter and my 11 year old son all share an Apple Id. I always meant to convert to Family Sharing, but there was never a compelling reason. Now Apple music is coming along, and my kids are getting older, and I figured this was an opportunity to finally get everything sorted out and start to separate out digital ids. Here is what I have done so far:

I made myself the administrator with the Apple ID everyone is currently sharing.
    I made my husband his own Apple id and sent an invitation to his email.
    I made my daughter and son kid ids.

Now from browsing around, I learned that I need to log out of each device and log back in with the new individual Apple IDs, but I am unclear as to what happens at that point. Do the kids lose all of their game saves that are registered to my ID? If that is true, then that is a non-starter because my kids will lose their minds. Apple specifies that apps, books and music are shared, but I am unclear on anything else.

Thanks!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The apps on their devices are DRM'd to your AppleID.
    They will have issues updating those apps, errors and prompts for your appleid login.

The best way to do this, is to wipe those devices, and let them start fresh, redownloading all their apps. (won't have to re-pay, your parent family account already paid before)
    Yes, they lose their app data.

Probably a headache and a nonstarter for you.