Family sharing seems confusing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by eclipse01, Sep 22, 2014.

1. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Is anyone out there using it?

So it is not as easy as just adding each of your family members and sharing all your apps for free? (like if I bought an app, my brother could get it for free?)

2. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

No...that's called Family Stealing.

Kidding. Yes, that's how it works. Be careful,though. If you setup and delete Family Sharing and it doesnt go as planned you only get 2 times per year to set it up. Apple actually blocks it from attempted setup a 3rd time but can override as folks are confused in setting it up.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, thats how it works here

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Does anyone know how family sharing works with in app purchases. For example if I bought 1Password premium as an in app purchase, can someone from my family also access those premium features if I restore the in app purchase using my credentials? Has anyone tried this :confused:.

6. Planins macrumors member

Planins

I haven't done it myself because my phone made me ask a parent to set it up (!? like what the hell, I am 21), but AFAIK you need to share the same credit card for Family Sharing to be enabled. That means that your brother could have his own account and add your credit card as a payment method, then upon enabling Family Sharing you'll be able to access the same apps. The main purpose of Family Sharing, I think, is being able to request from a parent to buy an app.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

https://developer.apple.com/icloud/documentation/family-sharing/

8. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I was referring to in-app purchases, the document does not really answer the question. Some apps require you to authenticate in-app purchases when you download them again using your apple id. All it mentions is this:

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yea I noticed that too just now.

And I would try to make any attempt on a test family simply due to Apple blocking people for 365 days if added more than twice.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I'm just going to continue to do what we've done for years - have a shared Apple ID for the app store, separate to our own iCloud accounts.