Family sharing seems half-baked at this point, I hope it evolves

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by pinkoos, Sep 18, 2014.

1. pinkoos macrumors regular

Here are my gripes:

1. IAP (in-app purchases) - these are not shared among the family. I can understand that a developer may not want a family to share, for example, a package of "gems" for Growtopia among everybody (ie, pay $5 once for 10,000 gems that gives each family member 10,000 gems), but what about when an IAP "unlocks" the full version of an app? With Family Sharing, each member of the family would have to pay separately to get the "full" app. As it is right now, there's no way to differentiate an IAP that just buys you "stuff" vs. an IAP that unlocks an app to it's full extent.

2. App updates - these require the child to enter his password on his device and then send a request to the family "organizer" or other designated "parent" who then has to enter his/her password to either allow or decline the request. And, on top of that, if the child has a list of like 12 apps that need updating (like my older son had last night), he has to go through this process for each app individually. Even though there's an "Update All" button up top, it doesn't allow you to at least only have to enter your password once and send one request to the parent. Nope. Has to do it for each app that needs updating. So, there are a couple of problems here: First, the need to enter a password in the first place just for an update. Didn't have to do that with the setup we had previously (ie, everybody was just logged in to the App Store under my Apple ID). If an app needed updating, my son could just "update all" and it would just work. Second, even if there is some COPPA rule that requires the whole password thing, why does one need to do it for each app update individually? Why can't "update all" and enter his password work for all the apps that need updating?

3. Request notifications - This scenario has already happened: My son sent me a request to update an app yesterday and, in my haste, I cleared out Notification Center on my iPhone before having had a chance to act on the notification. Now, the notification is gone and there's no way to find it somewhere else on the iPhone (at least that I know of). So, on his end, he was waiting for me to allow the request and on my end, I lost the request entirely. I'll have to test and see what happens on his end - I can't remember if he got a notification that I declined the request or if he got no indication of anything. Maybe the App Store needs another little button at the bottom that shows pending notifications that need to be acted upon.

Anyway, with all the betas that have gone out since iOS 8 was announced and with the army of coders/programmers that Apple has in Cupertino, one would think/assume that at least several of them would have come across these issues during the months leading up to the public release. That's why I feel like it's half-baked.

I'm considering going back to our old system and maybe wait out the evolution of Family Sharing.

Incidentally, this is a good link to read about Family Sharing:

http://www.macstories.net/tutorials...e-purchases-between-family-members-much-more/

And the Family Sharing Reference Guide that they include seems helpful for those trying to sort out how to arrange/set up Apple IDs for each family member.

2. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

The IAP's to unlock functionality within an app hit my wife and I. For a long time we've shared my Apple ID for the App Store and iTunes. Now with family sharing, and her using her Apple ID for everything, she no longer has access to things like removing ads from IAP's we've done in the past. Stuff she bought under my Apple ID.

Sneaky way to get people to have two pay twice for the same thing within a family when the functionality was there before to share IAP's in the past. And no not things like gems in a game.

We're probably going to go back to sharing my Apple ID for apps/music. Worked fine before. We're now also getting a lot of errors on her end with downloading and updating apps. Some work, and some don't.

As usual Apple puts a hastily done update out in the wild, and its going to take until early next year before we get a fix like many of the problems in iOS 7 until 7.1 came out 6 months later. They DEFINITELY need to bump up the bug fixes before launch IMO. For the life of me I can't figure out why this stuff takes so long to fix, and they're so vague on the details like this. I really like some of the new features but then there's other stuff that is a head scratching mess.

3. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

The other advantage of going back to a single Apple ID for apps/music is iTunes Match (for which I'm a subscriber) is available to everybody's devices.

We lost this benefit when we transitioned to Family Sharing.

4. jlynchtx macrumors newbie

I agree. I'm going to continue to share ine Apple ID among my family. So far there are too many disadvantages to family sharing.

5. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

Another negative is gift cards cannot be shared at all. We sometimes take all our loose change down to the Coinstar machine which doesn't charge a fee if you get an iTunes gift card that way. Now the credit can only be used by the person who redeems the code.

Sharing one ID for my wife and I worked so much better than this.

6. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

7. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if I would necessarily be removing my kids/wife from the family share. Instead, I'd just sign them out of iTunes/App Store and sign them back in with my Apple ID. I don't see how this would not work and/or create the problem to which you linked. But, I may be missing something....

8. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

you could add an old account by mistake...
    there are many ways one could mess that up

9. jclaydon macrumors member

I think this is what I want to do. Can someone confirm that if you set up Family Sharing, you can still have a different Apple ID for purchases and this can just be entered on all devices to enable purchases.

I want to set up Family Sharing for Photo Stream/Calendar but don't want to use that ID for purchases.

Thanks

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Thanks for a good overview Pinkoos. You probably saved me some trouble as I've wanted to be able to get my wife and I separate accounts, but at this point it looks like there are clearly too many downsides.

11. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

I'm sticking with individual accounts for Apple IDs and one shared account for iTunes/App Stores. This lets everyone keep their iMessages, email, and backups separate, but allows us to share content, apps, and IAPs.

12. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

I think this is the way to go. Kids can ask me to type the password when they want to buy a game. Family Sharing actually makes it more complicated than this.

13. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Confirmed.

14. hagar, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

hagar macrumors 6502a

And so their solution is more complicated than it was before. Not good!

I've read that iTunes match does work with family sharing. No?

EDIT: Apple says:
    So that means that you can purchase iTunes match for other family members, but not share I guess. Lame.

15. jclaydon macrumors member

Thanks

16. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

So I reverted back to my old system last night. This is what I did:

1. Log each kid and my wife out of the iTunes and App Store account, but NOT their respective iCloud accounts that were setup during the process of creating the Family Share.

2. Log each kid and my wife into the iTunes and App Store using my Apple ID (which is the Apple ID we had all been using for several years up until iOS 8 was released).

3. Turned iTunes Match back on for each kid and my wife.

4. Importantly, whoever is the Family Share creator needs to go into his/her iCloud settings on his/her iDevice and turn off the "Ask to Buy" toggle for each of your kids.

That should be it. Now we're back to the way we were in terms of iTunes/App Store purchases and updates but all the other features of Family Share are still functioning as they should.

NB That I did NOT turn off Family Share and/or remove anybody from the Family Share. I think if you turn off and then turn back on, you would run into the issue others are having of being locked out for 1 year. Also, I don't think it's even possible to remove the kids from the Family Share since their "special" iCloud accounts were created using the Family Share. I think you can transfer the kids to a different Family Share if you want, but their iCloud accounts have to remain part of some Family Share until they turn 13. I think that has to do with COPPA.

Hope this helps.